OT: Man in the High Castle / Season 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Man in the High Castle / Season 3

Anybody pick back up with this? I almost quit after the first episode of the third season but glad I didn't. A few weak spots but keeps building. Episode five is a stunner.
    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Binge watched season 1 a couple weeks ago.

Lost interest owsrds the end. Not sure I’ll fire up season 2 or not.

Comment

NEVER HEARD OF IT.
      "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

It's in the queue for us. Still catching up on some other stuff (like Ozark, which we only just started).

Comment

Watched the first episode a while back. The trailer seem more exciting. Game of Thrones started off slow too, so I'll probably binge watch after the season is over.
          Will you shut up, man!

Joe Biden

Comment

I'm just about to dive back in to Season 3. I wanted to get through Jack Ryan first.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
              Binge watched season 1 a couple weeks ago.

Lost interest owsrds the end. Not sure I’ll fire up season 2 or not.
              The plotting/pacing can be a bit uneven but considering the source material and the fact that there has been multiple showrunners, that's understandable. The acting, art direction, production, music and everything else are consistently outstanding. And when the big set pieces hit, they're well worth the slow spots. Season three gets way beyond the book's end and the pace really picks up after the first episode. Lots of plot twists. Lots of violence. Of course, you have to appreciate sci-fi alt-history with a strange multiverse angle.

The book is a must-read sci-fi masterpiece however I never thought it would be make it to the screen. Too weird. PKD did a lot of drugs. Probably only did because of the PK Dick oeuvre and Ridley Scott's interest.

Still have to watch Altered Carbon - such a great book. I believe Richard K Morgan is working on a new Takeshi Kovacs book now. He did a fantasy trilogy after the first three that I didn't particularly care for.

Can't wait to see what they do with Consider Phlebas. Iain M. Banks Culture series is incredibly imaginative. Read "Use of Weapons" if you want to mess with your mind. The book is structured with two story paths in alternating chapters, one moving forward and one backward chronologically. Very challenging and somewhat disturbing.
              Last edited by Maniac; 10-09-2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I watched 40% of the first episode

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                Anybody pick back up with this? I almost quit after the first episode of the third season but glad I didn't. A few weak spots but keeps building. Episode five is a stunner.
                ...and I wanted to throw a boot through the TV because of the writing. So I guess you could say I gave it a fair chance. The set design was good though.
                DB

Comment

Originally posted by DEERSPINE GUY View Post
                  NEVER HEARD OF IT.
                  Did you see Blade Runner or A Scanner Darkly? Same author.

Comment

if you haven't seen the magnificent Mrs. Maizel you need to watch that immediately. Excellent show.

Comment

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
                      ...and I wanted to throw a boot through the TV because of the writing. So I guess you could say I gave it a fair chance. The set design was good though.
                      The first episode of the first season or the third? Yeah, the dialogue can be a little weak especially around the Juliana/Joe plot. But the Nazis and the Japanese characters - especially Chief Inspector Kido and Obergruppenführer John Smith more than make up for that.

If you don't mind a bunch of Season 1 and 2 spoilers, you can watch this and decide if you want to jump it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61souSkwDk4

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
                        if you haven't seen the magnificent Mrs. Maizel you need to watch that immediately. Excellent show.
                        Trailer looks solid although I'm not much for dramedies. I guess everybody has their niches. Actually I don't watch much TV in general. Only The Expanse and High Castle because I read the books and Better Call Saul (don't spoil the finale, haven't watched it yet!) because of Breaking Bad. Other than that just sports. Oh yeah and Survivor. That's a bad habit/guilty pleasure thing.

Comment

i haven't seen finale of Saul either. I have been tremendously underwhelmed with this season as a whole though.

Maisel is funny as hell. The cast is excellent. Think you'd really enjoy it.

Comment

I watched season 1. Was season 2 any good, or just watch the spoilers?

Comment

Originally posted by dev_32 View Post
                              I watched season 1. Was season 2 any good, or just watch the spoilers?
                              Tough call. Season two is fine but I'm gonna recommend watching the Youtube recap clip - only up to 23:40 where Helen Smith says "I'll drink to that". Then you can pick up with the last two episodes of season 2. They're real good ones.

I notice the recap doesn't mention much about Frank's friend Ed McCarthy and Robert Childan, the antique store dealer. They take off together to Denver in the Neutral Zone near the end of season 2 while Frank stays in SF to work with the Resistance. Helps to know that.

Comment

Working...
                              X