Joe Banner's explanation on trading for Bell makes sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Banner's explanation on trading for Bell makes sense

Banner basically says that Bell makes the Eagles far more likely to make the Super Bowl (fair) and that the Eagles have really failed to use their RBs in the passing game thus far (for whatever reason).

With respect to compensation

Banner: You know, the stories that are out there that they’re looking for a (second-round pick)-plus make sense to me. I can’t really see (the Steelers) trading him for less than that. It is gonna create some internal problems in terms of precedent that they’re gonna set. So, who knows. At some point, they may be desperate enough to take less, but I would be surprised if something in the two-plus, and two-plus could be a two and a player who can contribute but isn’t a solid, difference-making player, or a two and maybe a later pick like a five or a six or something. But if I had to guess, and I think anybody has to look at him as kind of a one-year rental, it would take something in that range to get him. And at that point, for me, it’s kind of enough of a benefit for the Eagles to think about it seriously. If it got less than that, jump at it. And if it was more than that, I’d probably pass.

Wulf: It does seem like a lot for just half a season of a running back.

Banner: But if I said to you that he’s the difference between winning the Super Bowl and not, and there’s no way to know that but he’s good enough that he could be, if I said to you you’re giving up a second-round pick, which you probably get back a third-round pick a year later, in return for a guy who may be able to be the difference between winning the Super Bowl and not, I think most people would say that’s worth it.
    You can read the rest here if you have an athletic sub: https://theathletic.com/567635/2018/.../?redirected=1

The Haberdasher would never, ever, ever have traded for Bell.

Comment

Banner is a moron

Comment

not in a million years.

Comment

Banner is an interesting Twitter follow. Very insightful, but half the time I think "do you not remember when you were with the Eagles?" Usually a lot of Birds fans calling him out in the replies.
          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

That's actually a good explanation. My initial reaction was that I hate the idea of "going for it" with a trade as if this were baseball, and that the RBs are playing well this year when they actually get touches. But sliding down from the 2nd to the 3rd could be worth it.
            Last edited by art vandelay; 10-04-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

How is that a good explanation? It also forgets to detail the uhhh crux of why bell might be available . He doesn't want to play without an extension.

Comment

Level of agreement 100%. Without an extension Bell’s not coming in before Week 11 for the Steelers, the Eagles, or the Jesus Christ All Stars.

Comment

Well, their best receiving back has been injured.
                  "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post
                    How is that a good explanation? It also forgets to detail the uhhh crux of why bell might be available . He doesn't want to play without an extension.
                    Actually there was a report just a couple of days ago stating he’d return during the Steelers bye

Comment

For the reason that I stated. A rental would cost a 2nd but net a 3rd round compensatory pick. Sliding down one round in the draft may be worth what Bell brings to the team this year.

Comment

Bell wants a long term extension

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                        For the reason that I stated. A rental would cost a 2nd but net a 3rd round compensatory pick. Sliding down one round in the draft may be worth what Bell brings to the team this year.

He wouldn't put it on the line for the team who was currently trying to pay him 15m. Makes no sense.

Comment

Bell has to sign the franchise tender in order to be traded, and can't sign a new deal until the regular season is over. Any team that he chooses to go to (the franchise is basically a no-trade clause) runs no risk of Bell not playing once he gets there.
                          Last edited by art vandelay; 10-04-2018, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Why wouldn't Bell just play for the Steelers if he were open to playing under the tag? Why would anyone give up a high draft pick for 7 or 8 games of having a running back? The eagles don't waste high picks on running backs that they can control for four years at a reduced rate so bell even makes less sense. These rumors are most likely spread by the players agent because it just doesnt add up.

Comment

I would imagine that there could be some irreparable damage between Bell and the Steelers. He really has no choice but to play at some point this season, otherwise the Steelers can tag him again at 15 million in 2019 instead of the QB franchise number.

Again, someone would give up a 2nd for Bell for 8 games because they'd get a comp pick the following year, and they may think sliding down one round in the draft would be worth what Bell brings this year. I don't know what incentive Bell's agent would have to spread these rumors, because Bell can't sign a new deal until the regular season is over anyway.

My initial reaction was "hell no." Now I find it intriguing, especially considering they have an extra 2nd in the 2019 draft. But it's probably not gonna happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X