Question for the computer guru's on here,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the computer guru's on here,

My old Dimension 9100 is on it's last legs, and normally I would take it in and get it cleaned up and serviced, but since I am still running XP and it service life is running out shortly, I am looking at new options.

I have Windows 8 on my laptop, and hate it, but it doesn't look like I have many options. I would like to stay with Dell products as I don't need the most newfangled high end unit out there, and I have had good life and service from Dell.

Also, what do you guys think of the all-in-one CPU/Monitors/ Sure would clean up my desktop and simplify wire routing.

Thanks Stan

KG's got a gently used E-Machine to sell you

swears at it, I mean by it, all the time.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
      swears at it, I mean by it, all the time.

LOL, yeah, I am pretty sure I want to stick with Dell, I know it's not the glamorous high end name, but we have gotten good service out of them, and since we are nowhere near any metro area, the on-line purchase makes sense.

I am really interested on the thoughts on the all in one units though, all I need is a lot of memory, as most of my office functions are on searchable data, and print/fax.

Also, what does anyone think of the touchscreen on a desktop? Worth it or not?

Thanks Stan

Comment

You may want to consider converting that old XP desktop machine to Linux Mint 16. The WINE application will run your old Windows applications. Lot's of tutorials out there... I'm planning to convert mine next week...

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
          You may want to consider converting that old XP desktop machine to Linux Mint 16. The WINE application will run your old Windows applications. Lot's of tutorials out there... I'm planning to convert mine next week...

So this Cinnamon thingy will update and run my existing operating system? I had myself all talked into a new computer, might have to drop back 10 and punt. I just have to wonder how much more life I can expect out of a 10 year old unit.

Thanks Stan

Comment

I'm trying to understand why you....

....just don't dump the 9100 and simply fly with your laptop. (if it's space that you're concerned with)
            Is it that you want a big monitor?
            Does your laptop have a digital high definition output?
            What are you using your desktop computer for?
            I know you've liked Dell in the past, but I have to tell you: Not only have their consumer level machines turned to sh*t, but their BUSINESS level computers have turned to sh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
              So this Cinnamon thingy will update and run my existing operating system? I had myself all talked into a new computer, might have to drop back 10 and punt. I just have to wonder how much more life I can expect out of a 10 year old unit.

Thanks Stan
              What are you using or plan to use this computer for?
              --
              Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
                ....just don't dump the 9100 and simply fly with your laptop. (if it's space that you're concerned with)
                I know you've liked Dell in the past, but I have to tell you: Not only have their consumer level machines turned to sh*t, but their BUSINESS level computers have turned to sh*t.
                I'm looking into a new PC and Dell is getting less and less attractive. CyberPowerPC is intriguing. They're primarily gaming machines but the better graphics processing is helpful for some work I do.
                --
                Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
                  Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                  What are you using or plan to use this computer for?
                  Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                  I'm looking into a new PC and Dell is getting less and less attractive. CyberPowerPC is intriguing. They're primarily gaming machines but the better graphics processing is helpful for some work I do.

Basically this is just for work, no gaming, no streaming, no music, what it is used for primarily is for searching for loads thru different load boards to setup connections for my trucks.

The reason I don't use a laptop is that I need a large monitor, I have a 23" now and want a 27" it let's me scroll thru pages of info without have to slide the screen back and forth all the time.

The reason for the high memory is that all load sheets have to be stored as a snapshot for future reference, also I have to keep all current files for six months before I can flash drive them.
                  Last edited by Eagle Road; 04-02-2014, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I suggest staying away from the all-in-ones. They are cool looking, but everything is integrated on the circuits and if something bites it the entire thing is useless.

I've been looking for a project to use my wife's old all-in-one monitor for, but will take some low level circuitry to actually get it to work like a straight forward monitor.

Comment

For what it's worth, i've been buying (and telling people to buy) HP desktops for the last few years.

I picked up a refurb on woot a few years ago to run a media server on, and have been buying nothing but HP since that.

Comment

If you buy an all-in-one computer/monitor and....

...you want a larger size screen it's going to cost you and your options will be limited. Better to go with a separate desktop unit and a stand-alone monitor. Look at Lenovo.

Comment

Great advice

HP has been doing a nice job.

Comment

W.O.P.R.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the advice, that was what I was afraid of with the all in one, if the monitor goes down, then what? If I do go that route I will be sure to look into extra warranty, but I do appreciate the input.

HP would probably be a good option, we do run Lenovo tablets in all of the trucks now, we run them off an AT&T WiFi setup, they store our routes, state miles for IFTA reporting, GPS trackers and they also double as our electronic log files.

I do run a program on my desktop that allows me to track all of our loads anywhere in country, it also monitors truck performance, fuel mileage, driver performance an incident calculators.

That program does suck up a lot of memory and disk space.

Comment

Working...
                              X