Wentz is STILL the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wentz is STILL the future

1. It’s been astonishing how quickly a seemingly significant portion of Eagles fans has turned on Wentz. What are you thinking? Like, what on earth are you thinking? He played at such an astronomically high level last year and we knew this year was going to be a process as he battled to get back after the ACL tear. So he’s been out there without a training camp on a surgically repaired knee that’s obviously affecting him and also it turns out now while dealing with a serious back injury, and he’s still played at a fairly high level. He’s 25 years old. He’s played 40 games. Do you know how many quarterbacks have done what he’s done in their first 40 games … 64 percent completion percentage, 70 touchdowns, 28 interceptions? Nobody else. You’d rather have Pat Mahomes? OK, I won’t argue that. But who else would you rather build a franchise around? I’ll take Wentz over Jared Goff, Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson or any other young QB. For years we’ve wished the Eagles would go out and get a franchise quarterback. Now that they have one, let’s maybe keep him around a while.

2. And if you really want to move on from Wentz because he’s missed a few games the last two years, you have to remember that very few young quarterbacks have a smooth, easy route to greatness. Drew Brees got benched for Doug Flutie in his second year. Kurt Warner played in the Arena Football League and NFL Europe. Aaron Rodgers wasn’t a starter until Year 4. Joe Montana had one winning season before his 27th birthday. Steve Young had a 15-24 record to show for his first seven seasons. Matthew Stafford missed 19 games with injuries his first two seasons but hasn’t missed a game since. John Elway didn’t win a playoff game until his fifth season, didn’t win a Super Bowl until his 15th season. Bart Starr won more NFL championships than any QB in history. His first five seasons? He had 23 touchdowns, 40 interceptions and an 11-20 record. I could go on all day. You don’t give up on a guy who’s clearly remarkably skilled just because of a bump or two in the road.

I love what Foles has done for us, but Wentz is a special talent that you don't discard. How much worse would it be to see him go elsewhere and succeed? His performance this year in a lot of ways improved, but until he is a year+ beyond his knee surgery he has been slower with his feet, and I expect that to return by next season.
    The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'

Is there a TL;DR version available?

Comment

A lot of the anti-Wentz posts are troll posts.

No one has forgotten what Wentz did last year.

Some more success from Foles, and I would consider trading Wentz for an outrageous offer.

Comment

Wentz goes down

And the Eagles become the first #1 seed to be underdogs in all playoff games. Can’t wait to see him healthy in 2019. He set them up for success and Foles turned in the postseason of a lifetime to bring it home.

Comment

Working...
        X