Question on the catch/no catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on the catch/no catch

The Bear receiver caught the ball and fumbled, but the refs said incomplete and waved their arms and I assume blew the whistle.

They later said it was incomplete since there was no clear recovery.

Can you recover the ball after the whistle blows?

Thanks

Apparently you can and you should. I thought for sure we were going to get jobbed.

I was thinking back to when desean Jackson dropped the ball on the turf running into the endzone. We got the ball at the spot of the fumble I’m guessing one of the eagles players picked it up after the whistle for the TD?

Comment

The rule is designed to split the bit for the teams.

If it's a catch and fumble and the refs blew the whistle w/o a clear recovery (which, I think could still occur after the whistle), instead of awarding the catch, they just rule it incomplete. Logically, you'd think they'd just rule it a catch and dead ball, but that seems unfair to the defender and so you get this. That's my understanding at least.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalEaglesFan View Post
        The Bear receiver caught the ball and fumbled, but the refs said incomplete and waved their arms and I assume blew the whistle.

They later said it was incomplete since there was no clear recovery.

Can you recover the ball after the whistle blows?

Thanks
        Yes just pick it up, you can not advance the ball but ALL players are told to pick the ball up no matter what the refs do.

Comment

I don't recall the referee leaving much time for anyone to react to picking it up last night.

Comment

So if the ref already blew the whistle and the defense still trying to pick up the ball, if the offense guys also went for the ball, can they be flagged for hitting players after whistle already blew?

Comment

Working...
            X