Anyone have a sub to The Athletic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a sub to The Athletic?

Debating if worth it. Seems so. Philly.com is a joke and whatever I need to see I can view through incognito mode.

Im digging the vibe from The Athletic and dont mind supporting journalists.

Also any ideas on how to get best deal?
    Last edited by Diggle; 11-22-2018, 03:51 PM.
    WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

I have a sub. It’s great. Really high quality writers, good analysis, no ads or pointless hot take type bullshit stories. Overall Im pretty pleased.

They run sales every now and then where you can get a full year for 25 to 50 percent off. That’s how I ended up subscribing, saw a deal on Instagram. So I’d check their Facebook or insta, probably a decent chance they will have some sort of Black Friday sale

Comment

Got one for Christmas last year. It's really good IMO. They seem to be scooping up a lot of the best writers around the country. I think you can do free trial.
      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by Diggle View Post
        Debating if worth it. Seems so. Philly.com is a joke and whatever I need to see I can view through incognito mode.

Yes. I think they have some quality content.

Comment

I had a buddy tell me the other day that I’m missing out not having a sub.
          -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
            I had a buddy tell me the other day that I’m missing out not having a sub.
            IT'S NOT A SUB, IT'S A HOAGIE DAMNIT!!!

OH WAIT...
            "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

I got a year for $30. Not renewing it. Rather pay for a eagles Philly.com sub but no offered.

Comment

You can view all of Philly.com on your mobile in incognito mode.
                WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

The athletic is solid. Writing is great. But I don’t think I’d pay to keep it. Not at $60 anyway. Don’t use it as much as I thought I would.

Comment

Not enough pictures, eh?
                    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I have one as well and agree with the masses. Best deal I've seen is 50% off annual sub. If you scour twitter or facenutz (c), you'll eventually find one over the course of a couple days/weeks. 40% (not a bad deal) or 30% are very plentiful.

Then, the next year, you just gift a sub and gift it to yourself to retain the discount.

But yeah, the coverage is great and all of the writing is generally thoughtful and well done. Sheil Kapadia heads the Eagles coverage and his podcast with Bo Wulf is pretty solid if a little quirky at times.

Comment

It’s 50% off for annual subscription today.

$30/year. It’s worth it for that price.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
                          The athletic is solid. Writing is great. But I don’t think I’d pay to keep it. Not at $60 anyway. Don’t use it as much as I thought I would.
                          You nailed my problem. I already subscribe to a lot of pay for content services. But there are only so many hours in each day. Their content may be great but I find I don't have a lot of time to use all of them. The cost adds up and the price must be right.

On the other hand I completely support the idea of ad free paid for content. The ads on so many websites now are so very intrusive. But if you only have time to read a couple of articles a month is it worth subscribing?
                          --------
                          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Here's my idea.

Somebody needs to come up with a bundling service where people can choose the very exact contact (TV and web) they want to pay for over the internet.

I'm talking like selecting individual channels and websites. You check them off and subscribe.

I have little doubt Comcast is working on something like this.
                            --------
                            "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by Diggle View Post

I find it's definitely worth it. The Eagles and Sixers staff are really good, much more depth than you usually find on philly.com. I think Sheil Kapadia is head and shoulders above anyone philly.com has, and Bo Wulf has been great too. I don't follow hockey so I can't speak to that coverage, though I like Matt Gelb and I'll look forward to reading more of his stuff when the Phils are hopefully a little more exciting next year. Some national writers are there too, which is a nice perk. Agree that supporting journalists, sports or otherwise, is a good idea generally. And it's ad free, which is a really nice bonus.

Comment

Working...
                              X