Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's fair

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
    I think you have to factor in the douche factor. McNabb was nowhere near as big of a douche as Pete Rose, but I can't discount the douche factor.
    I should note I was incorrect in my above post about Wistert - I misread and he's in the CFB HoF, not pro.

IIRC, I think a lot more people sided with McNabb over TO at in 2005, but as details came out over the next decade, we all shifted.

It's interesting - I think we think much higher of guys like Celek (long time Eagle) and Barwin (short time Eagle) because of their connections in the community and general affability. Neither will get their numbers retired but there's something to be said for their general positive view, community stewardship and just generally not being a douche. Same can be said about Dawk who is also a legit HoF talent and which not a single person can dispute retiring his number.

Side note - Celek is still an FA.
    Last edited by JuTMSY4; 07-07-2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• al wistert could be one of the biggest HOF snubs of all time. he's from an era that none of us saw, but it's weird that he never got in. at the other end of the spectrum, i don't really know how pete pihos' number was never retired, since he's in the HOF, and played on championship teams.

i think celek and barwin just benefit from being in low-pressure roles. it's hard for anyone to hate those guys. they both play kind of "tough guy" positions and it's easy for fans to identify with them as blue collar players or something. i don't necessarily have a problem with barwin, but i think he's kind of overrated due to driving a tesla and being friends with kurt vile and shit. at this point he's a poor man's chris long.

edit: i hold mcnabb in higher regard than guys like celek and barwin
      Last edited by art vandelay; 07-07-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• Coffee & retired numbers are for closers. When the pressure is on I feel Foles & Wentz will make a play. #5 would shit the bed & we would be talking about whoulda, shoulda, coulda scenarios.
        Cowboys last SB win is old enough to drink beer

Comment

• Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          I blame Reid (FF) much more for those losses than I blame McNabb.

Having said that, McNabb always seemed like a coddled soup salesman to me.
          Same here. I find it more plausible that Pederson/McNabb could win a Super Bowl than Reid/Wentz/Foles.
          Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

• I think Reid and McNabb still could have won a Super Bowl if the haberdasher hadn’t been such a cheap bastard when it came to wide receivers. The one time he paid a receiver the Eagles got to a Super Bowl, but he couldn’t stand it so he chased TO out of Philadelphia the next year.

Roseman and Pedersen sure learned what NOT to do from watching Banner and Reid.
            Last edited by RSE; 07-09-2018, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RSE View Post
              I think Reid and McNabb still could have won a Super Bowl if the haberdasher hadn’t been such a cheap bastard when it came to wide receivers. The one time he paid a receiver the Eagles got to a Super Bowl, but he couldn’t stand it so he chased TO out of Philadelphia the next year.

Roseman and Pedersen sure learned what NOT to do from watching Banner and Reid.
              I'll take Howie over Ratface but you still have to account for Reid's big game shortcomings in KC. Also other than wide receivers, Reid's Eagles had as good or better players generally everywhere else. I think FF is fatally flawed in real time.

I can't pin the NFC Championship game losses on Banner.
              Last edited by Maniac; 07-09-2018, 07:41 PM.
              Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

• This
                John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

• Mc Nabb so frustrating -- tons of God given talent without the work ethic it takes to be the best he could of been.

Comment

• Nice to see that your grammar is still bottom of the barrel.
                    I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

Working...
                    X