Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillies very active

Hot and Heavy after machado.

Looking into Dallas Keuchel and Zack Britton.

I don't see any way Middleton lets Klentak walk away from this offseason w/o Harper or Machado and most speculation is on Machado right now.

Let Machado go to the Yankees and trade for Miguel Andujar. I want nothing to do with overpaying Machado over the next decade. I'd pass on Keuchel, too, unless he's ok with a 3-year deal.

Comment

Keuchel's looking at 4+. I think I'd happily give Happ 3 years.

Keuchel can't come here unless they get Machado at 3rd. Keuchel with Franco at 3rd is a disaster.

I'm fine with Machado over Harper (tho I think I like Harper better) because of the position premium, but he'll age (best case) like Miggy Cabrera and end up at first by his early 30s. That's a harder situation when you're in the NL (unless the DH really is coming).

Also, Machado lets you pursue Pollock or Brantley.

Comment

Level of agreement on Machado off the charts
        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Machado gave them an easy out during the playoffs. He doesn't fit here. He reeks of that guy who gets paid and no longer cares. This team doesn't need that. I want the player that's fighting for the contract (Andujar) not the one who's already told everyone he's not 'Johnny Hustle'. I will guarantee signing him will cost this team years of grief. Just the fact that this front office is even entertaining bringing him is is disheartening. Harper on the other hand...

Comment

I know this sounds like I have an uncle who knows a guy who knows a guy ... but I do have a niece who's dating a guy who works for a front office that shall remain nameless and he loves Harper.

FWIW, he used a golf metaphor to compare his game to Trout's.

He called Trout the Justin Rose of baseball (steady ... never bad ... and number one in the world talented) and he called Harper the Rory McElroy of baseball ... when he's on he's the best player on the course, but he's not steady.
            Last edited by slag; 12-11-2018, 01:32 PM.
            Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I just don't get what point he'd serve right now. He wants to play shortstop, and they just got an all-star shortstop. I guess you move him to third, but will that keep him happy?

I'm still thinking if it happens, send Segura, Franco, Herrera, Arrieta, Kingery, picks and prospects for Trout.
              -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Machado will become John Daly once he gets paid. I bring up Andujar because the Yankees mentioned he may be available. If they get Machado, he will really be available. That's the move to make. This front office needs to think a little outside the box. Throwing big money at this guy makes zero sense. If we thought Ryan Howard's contract would never end, imagine what this one would do?

If the money is burning a hole in their pockets, give Harper $360M for 8 years. He'll be 34 when it's done and may be able to cash in again.

Comment

I agree with this completely.

Comment

Andrew McCutchen 3-year deal pending physical. Yuck.

Comment

huh

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
                      Andrew McCutchen 3-year deal pending physical. Yuck.
                      seems fine. Last year is a little pricey, but whatever.

Comment

They spent three years $50M for him. This was the 'spending money stupidly' Middleton was talking about. They outbid themselves and learned nothing from Santana.
                        Last edited by Snakebitten; 12-11-2018, 04:21 PM. Reason: Correction: It's $50M not $45M. Ugh.

Comment

SEVERAL years too late.
                          WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS!

Comment

If you're point is, he's not a superstar

Originally posted by Corkey_for_President View Post
                            SEVERAL years too late.
                            duh. His production has declined but he's a different player and he looks worth a 17 mil AAV at least over the first two years. He'll be fine, even if the third year was an overpay.

Comment

Well past his prime but he can still play a little bit. More importantly, he's exactly the kind of guy you want on a younger team. That's probably his main utility.
                              "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Working...
                              X