Ferguson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferguson

Can someone explain to me the rationale of burning down businesses and looting stores in Ferguson as a way of protesting the ruling?? I feel sorry for the hard-working small business owners in that area.

[For the most part] the "real" protestors were not the ones engaging in looting…

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane Dean View Post
      Can someone explain to me the rationale of burning down businesses and looting stores in Ferguson as a way of protesting the ruling?? I feel sorry for the hard-working small business owners in that area.

Just a side note to this, not only does the business owner get his building burnt to the ground, but do you realize that in some of these cases they will NOT be able to collect insurance on this as it may be classified as terrorism.

Comment

The stepfather is a real gem. Not surprised at all.

Comment

The price of those SONOS sound bars is insane. Is there any rioting around BestBuy?

Comment

It was an opportunity to steal and burn stuff. (Yes, some were actually protesting).

Comment

Originally posted by D Leff View Post
              It was an opportunity to steal and burn stuff. (Yes, some were actually protesting).
              Exactly. I think there would have been rioting and looting regardless of the verdict.

Comment

Just like winning a Championship or a snow storm. Poor people get to loot. That's America!
                Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

I lived in Center City in the eighties

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                  Just like winning a Championship or a snow storm. Poor people get to loot. That's America!
                  I remember the Mothers Day riots and the "Sixers won the championship riots." In the former case Chestnut Street got demo'd. In the latter case I was coming back from Vanillanova and there were people standing in the middle of the Vine St Expressway throwing shit. Heady days.

DB
                  DB

Comment

You mean you missed..........

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
                    I remember the Mothers Day riots and the "Sixers won the championship riots." In the former case Chestnut Street got demo'd. In the latter case I was coming back from Vanillanova and there were people standing in the middle of the Vine St Expressway throwing shit. Heady days.

DB
                    The Columbia Avenue riots?

I figured a stud like you would have been in the middle of that mess.
                    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

Thing is Insurance and the town will pay for everything these people destroy, BUT what they do not understand is their taxes will now go up to pay for all this, so they are pulling money out of their own pockets every time they burn or destroy something. I can not believe al lthis for a thug.

Comment

Originally posted by thegodfather View Post
                        Thing is Insurance and the town will pay for everything these people destroy, BUT what they do not understand is their taxes will now go up to pay for all this, so they are pulling money out of their own pockets every time they burn or destroy something. I can not believe al lthis for a thug.

You ever been thru Ferguson? Believe when I tell you, a LOT of people there are below poverty level, which means, they don't pay taxes.

But I can't understand the rational behind destroying businesses that provide you with the basic essential for living in your own area.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
                          But I can't understand the rational behind destroying businesses that provide you with the basic essential for living in your own area.
                          Free appliances, clothes, food. Plus instant gratification. The breakeven point has to be really low when you're living on 10-15k a year. There will always be another Mickey Ds around.
                          Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Free appliances, clothes, food. Plus instant gratification. The breakeven point has to be really low when you're living on 10-15k a year. There will always be another Mickey Ds around.

Don't be so sure about that, if a business owner has an excessive cost associated with either his business OR it's location, his rates will be higher than average.

At some point the risk/reward equation gets to a point that it just isn't worth it.

There was a documentary on a while back about the "food desert" that exists in some parts of Detroit for this very reason, at some point, it just isn't worth it to try and run a business in that environment.

Comment

Point of Clarificatioin

Everyone pays taxes. Sales taxes, gas tax, etc.
                              DB

Comment

Working...
                              X