No announcement yet.

Of course this happened in Irving, Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your kid was humiliated in front of his peers and treated like a criminal for doing something creative like this that he has a passion for you would probably feel differently.

Personally I would be furious.

Comment

If something is ticking, I would want the teacher to act. My question is, why wasn't the bomb squad called. If they were still uncertain, why the need for handcuffs and perp walk? Didn't read the article, but was the school evacuated?
      500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
        Ok, so maybe the English teacher knows nothing about electronics. He is ignorant about electronics and fearful.
        I'm leaning towards this and that he doesn't know the kid. I won't speculate further. However you look it, the situation isn't a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post
          If something is ticking, I would want the teacher to act. My question is, why wasn't the bomb squad called. If they were still uncertain, why the need for handcuffs and perp walk? Didn't read the article, but was the school evacuated?
          Can't answer about evacuation but handcuff and perp walk is standard operating procedure for someone in custody. Policies are written to maintain safety for parties involved and don't permit exception because age or situation. Would you be willing to face internal discipline for the benefit of someone you have never met before?

He in fact was under arrest. My Department policy is such that every reasonable effort shall be made to limit placing a juvenile in a situation where he could be ridiculed but its nearly impossible to get form a building to a car without a photo op.

Comment

Dismissing zero tolerance for the moment ... the issue here is whether a reasonable person in the same situation would think the object might be dangerous.

Now ... the definition of reasonable is a grey area but what it is NOT is what a reasonable scientist who built an electronic clock in 9th grade thinks.

In other words, I totally agree that different people will assess the situation differently, but I still say (particularly in this day and age), IF A MISTAKE IS TO BE MADE, the mistake should be made on the side of protecting against a catastrophic event, not on the side of ignoring that possibility because someone's individual rights will be slightly infringed.

Now, if someone out there wants to take this to when it's reasonable to be a gettin' yer shootin' iron and commencin' to blastin' ... that's a strawman of a different color.
            Last edited by slag; 09-16-2015, 08:10 PM.
            Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by rdog5 View Post
              So you are the judge? Guess giving people the benefit of the doubt or innocent until proven guilty are foreign concepts except if it applies to someone you are close to. Other than a news story you have no information what really happened here but you can say it was based on bigotry, ignorance and fear. Maybe its based on fear of violence in schools which is all too common and rather than being a victim they choose to be safe. I guess you can go on thinking you know what someone is thinking after all it makes you correct.
              They led Ahmed into a room where four other police officers waited. He said an officer he’d never seen before leaned back in his chair and remarked: “Yup. That’s who I thought it was.”

Comment

I have two kids ... they're grown, but if that happened to them under this circumstance I'd say the same thing I said to a TSA officer who apologized when he singled me out for a pat down search at the airport:

"Do not apologize to me ... keep doing what you're doing."

Comment

yep

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                  That's idiotic.
                  Ignorance and fear of guns. And bigotry too, the kid was black!
                  Last edited by Riccardo; 09-16-2015, 08:15 PM.
                  "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

I have to agree ... that was puzzling.

Comment

He did show it to his engineering teacher who told him to keep it in his bag. It was his darn liberal English teacher who hit the panic button. Article did mention that it was his first year of high school as well. So teachers didn't really know him.

Comment

Fucking Shakespeare ... I hated reading that shit.

Comment

How did I miss this

Originally posted by AthensEagle View Post
                          OT/FB: That Benny Hinn Jedi Shit was why the internet was invented
                          I had to go back and rewatch it.
                          500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Originally posted by rdog5 View Post
                            Can't answer about evacuation but handcuff and perp walk is standard operating procedure for someone in custody. Policies are written to maintain safety for parties involved and don't permit exception because age or situation. Would you be willing to face internal discipline for the benefit of someone you have never met before?

He in fact was under arrest. My Department policy is such that every reasonable effort shall be made to limit placing a juvenile in a situation where he could be ridiculed but its nearly impossible to get form a building to a car without a photo op.
                            That's the thing... in the like I posted, the police stated that it was already determined it wasn't a bomb before they placed him in cuffs and lead him out in front of the entire school and (possibly illegally) questioned him without his parents being present. During this interrogation the police questioned him as to what it was. He repeatedly stated it was a clock, but the police grew frustrated that he was being "too broad" in his answers that a clock was just a clock. At some point or another the principal reportedly tried to force him into making a written statement (I'm presuming a statement of guilt of a bomb hoax) or face expulsion, again without his parents being present

I don't have a problem with a teacher panicking and notifying authorities. The problem is two teachers already looked at it by that point and determined it was just what he said, a clock. Yet later in the day he gets called into the office while the school is not evacuated and it appears as though no bomb squad was called in.

He was being made an example of for whatever reason. I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions as to why.
                            Last edited by stealth_rhino; 09-17-2015, 09:11 AM.
                            Originally posted by 3rd & Inches
                            Don't type mad.

Comment

Right On.

Comment

So then

We're all just gonna act like this kid being Muslim has nothing to do with anything, huh ? Ok.
                                The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X