10 career starts with a 5.94 ERA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 career starts with a 5.94 ERA

That’s how Mariano Rivera’s career started.

Why hasn’t Pivetta been tried at closer, and why isn’t Velasquez the next Chad Durban?
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

I think the confidence level in the starters behind them is the problem. That and a possible 40 man roster crunch depending on injuries. Once you send a guy to the pen, he's almost definitely not coming back to the starting rotation and certainly not immediately. At best, you could get a 3-4 inning spot start, but even that is a rough ride.

I also don't think they've lost faith in Pivetta as a starter - it's there. VV is a mental midget and unless they give him a new brain, I'm not sure how he survives at all.

Comment

If Eickhoff keeps pitching well it would be stupid not to try one of them out in the bullpen.

Comment

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
        If Eickhoff keeps pitching well it would be stupid not to try one of them out in the bullpen.
        I think that's part of the tenuous issue. He also needs to stay healthy (same with Eflin) throughout the season. The general rule seems to be once you go bullpen, you're not coming back. If both are in the Pen (or even just Pivetta), then you're left with de los santos (maybe ok?), Suarez (less exciting) or drew anderson (oy). It's hard to predict which is why I think there is caution.

Pivetta is almost definitely the better pitcher but also the better starter which means it's a bit of a gamble to move him this early in the season.

ultimately, I don't see how VV stays on the team as a starter.

Comment

Working...
        X