IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 02-20-2019, 06:42 PM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post starting "You’re struggling. I gave you all..."
Greenstealth

Default You had to edit that post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen View Post
Youíre struggling.

I gave you all the information you needed in the early part of Feb. and yet here you are, miffed as ever.
And told me I'm struggling...

The simplest answer for all of this is Foles walks in free agency and the eagles get a comp pick. Agreed? OK. Since you pointed out how simple everything is, it's more likely to you to assume the eagles are operating behind the scenes with team x and foles is in cahoots as well because WHY WOULD HE WANT TO GO INTO FREE AGENCY? If he did that he'd choose his team and salary. Is it possible that Howie finds a really stupid trade partner and foles is on board? Sure, it is possible, but how could you find that more likely and less complicated?
Greenstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2019, 07:53 PM  
Posted in reply to Greenstealth's post "You had to edit that post"
Drama Queen

Drama Queen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstealth View Post
And told me I'm struggling...

The simplest answer for all of this is Foles walks in free agency and the eagles get a comp pick. Agreed? OK. Since you pointed out how simple everything is, it's more likely to you to assume the eagles are operating behind the scenes with team x and foles is in cahoots as well because WHY WOULD HE WANT TO GO INTO FREE AGENCY? If he did that he'd choose his team and salary. Is it possible that Howie finds a really stupid trade partner and foles is on board? Sure, it is possible, but how could you find that more likely and less complicated?
Ok, I agree that you hold the mantle for the least complicated scenario.

My big assumption is that the Eagles are willing to keep Foles rather than give him away for a comp. 3rd.

So with that said, I think youíre wrong to call any team a stupid trade partner. There are many reasons already mentioned as to why it would make sense for a team to trade (draft pick or players) for the best QB on the market.

And Foles can choose to accept the $25m tag and sit on the bench and wonder if he will be traded to a team on a one year lease, or he can choose to participate in his own destiny and sign a long term contract and security that comes with that.
Drama Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2019, 08:30 PM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post starting "Ok, I agree that you hold the mantle..."
Greenstealth

I guess we'll see. I just don't see a scenario where Foles stays for more reasons than just money.
Unread 02-20-2019, 11:01 PM   #24
art vandelay
de Madrid

art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think it's about avoiding a bidding war as much as it's about a team getting their guy. If the Jags, for example, want Foles, I think it would be worth at least a 3rd for them to keep him from going to the Redskins or the Dolphins.

Denver just gave up a 4th for Joe Flacco. Wouldn't the Ravens have cut him if they hadn't found a suitor?
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2019, 07:11 AM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "I don't think it's about avoiding a..."
Greenstealth

I'm not entirely familiar with Flacco but I'd have to assume he would have been cut, he's still under contract though. It's not like the ravens would have to bluff a tag to try and get a return. https://www.phillyvoice.com/what-doe...nd-nick-foles/
I fall in line with kempski's thinking at least on this matter.
Unread 02-21-2019, 07:17 AM  
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "I don't think it's about avoiding a..."
Drama Queen

Default Fortunately, the Eagles have proven they are not adverse to risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay View Post
I don't think it's about avoiding a bidding war as much as it's about a team getting their guy. If the Jags, for example, want Foles, I think it would be worth at least a 3rd for them to keep him from going to the Redskins or the Dolphins.

Denver just gave up a 4th for Joe Flacco. Wouldn't the Ravens have cut him if they hadn't found a suitor?
...and whatís the risk here: having to franchise Foles and keep him on the roster the entire year because you canít find a trade partner? Ok.

Baltimore found a trade partner willing to take Flacco, who is a 34 year old QB and making $23m a year, for a mid 4th round pick. Denver certainly didnít wait for Flacco to be cut because Washington was sniffing around.

Foles is 30 with a much better resume over the past 3 years. He is the consensus best available QB even when Flacco was on the market. Are teams going to wait for him to be cut because they donít want to pay north of a 4th round pick?

I donít think so.
Unread 02-21-2019, 07:35 AM   #27
Greenstealth

So you think the eagles are willing to essentially tank this year's cap to try and get something marginally better than the comp pick they'll get?
Unread 02-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #28
Drama Queen

Iím saying the Eagles are willing to assume the risk of keeping Foles. Iím also saying that the Eagles risk assumption creates a market for Foles.
Unread 02-21-2019, 09:32 AM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post starting "Iím saying the Eagles are willing to..."
Greenstealth

Quote:
Iím saying the Eagles are willing to assume the risk of keeping Foles. Iím also saying that the Eagles risk assumption creates a market for Foles.
Ok I'll stop. I'm tapping. I'll go recalibrate.
Unread 02-21-2019, 09:42 AM  
Posted in reply to Greenstealth's post starting "Ok I'll stop. I'm tapping. I'll go..."
Drama Queen

Haha. I like it!

What do you think the Eagles have/will be doing during this 3 week time period? Sitting around the phone waiting for a sucker to call or proactively bullshiting with teams like thetíre running a pawn shop?
Unread 02-21-2019, 10:58 AM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post starting "Haha. I like it! What do you think..."
nerd

nerd is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, if they had no intention of tagging him and just taking the comp pick, wouldn't they have already come out and said that by now?

If they haven't, at least to me, it means that they have at least had conversations with teams about a trade for Foles and that the talks aren't complete garbage.

If team (or teams) weren't interested at all, I don't see what would hold the eagles back from just announcing asap that they aren't going to franchise Foles.

Also, schefter had his podcast yesterday and I think he said that there is nothing "illegal" about the eagles franchising Foles and then trading him. Could have heard it wrong though.
Unread 02-21-2019, 11:16 AM  
Posted in reply to nerd's post starting "To be honest, if they had no intention..."
Ground_Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd View Post

Also, schefter had his podcast yesterday and I think he said that there is nothing "illegal" about the eagles franchising Foles and then trading him. Could have heard it wrong though.
You are correct.
Ground_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2019, 12:47 PM  
Posted in reply to nerd's post starting "To be honest, if they had no intention..."
Drama Queen

You heard correctly and I believe you are correct with your thought process.
Unread 02-21-2019, 03:19 PM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post starting "You heard correctly and I believe you..."
Eagle Road

Unless of course somebody threw an offer at them for Wentz, the iggs are supposedly very high on Sudfeld, and an older Foles and a younger Sud make a better "fit" than two young guys, Wentz and Sud? No idea, just thowing it out there.
Eagle Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2019, 04:30 PM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post starting "You heard correctly and I believe you..."
nerd

nerd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You heard correctly and I believe you are correct with your thought process.
Another part of this is that we all believe Howie is a good GM. I'm not sure if the Jags GM is the same guy that signed Bortles to that deal and believed in him, but to me, that is not a good GM.

Good GMs will look to (and do) take advantage of bad GM's. Maybe they don't get anything for Foles and he does just walk, but I have to believe that Roseman is definitely working the Giants, Redskins, Dolphins and Jags for the best trade option.

I'm interested to see how it plays out.
Unread 02-21-2019, 04:54 PM  
Posted in reply to Eagle Road's post starting "Unless of course somebody threw an..."
Drama Queen

wishful thinking of a Foles vs. Wentz fan.

What do you think theyíll do with Suds?
Unread 02-21-2019, 05:47 PM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post starting "wishful thinking of a Foles vs. Wentz..."
Greenstealth

How about post your qb predictions...

I'll say Foles walks in free agency to the Dolphins. The eagles extend wentz. Sudfeld gets a 2nd round tender and returns.
Unread 02-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #38
Ground_Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstealth View Post
How about post your qb predictions...

I'll say Foles walks in free agency to the Dolphins. The eagles extend wentz. Sudfeld gets a 2nd round tender and returns.
Iíll say the same...Except Foles to Jax
Ground_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #39
Drama Queen

Foles traded to Jax.
Wentz extended mid-late season.
Sudfeld stays on a 1st round tender.

(Sudfeld is the hardest one to call but I think the Eagles get ultra conservative and spend an extra 1.5m to ensure he stays. Again, I think one of these teams: Miami, Jax, Giants and Washington could get a wild hair and make a run at Sudfeld for a 2nd pick. All of us probably agree that we would take the 2nd and be happy, but I think the Eagles value the the depth at QB more than any team.)
Unread 02-21-2019, 08:15 PM  
Posted in reply to Drama Queen's post starting "Foles traded to Jax. Wentz extended..."
Wolfpack

Quote:
Foles traded to Jax.
Wentz extended mid-late season.
Sudfeld stays on a 1st round tender.

(Sudfeld is the hardest one to call but I think the Eagles get ultra conservative and spend an extra 1.5m to ensure he stays. Again, I think one of these teams: Miami, Jax, Giants and Washington could get a wild hair and make a run at Sudfeld for a 2nd pick. All of us probably agree that we would take the 2nd and be happy, but I think the Eagles value the the depth at QB more than any team.)
With Wentz's style of play and record of injury, I favor having a strong back up as well. Of course last year's back issue could have been the result of trying to come back too quickly.
".........there is no experience in the NFL like walking out of the tunnel at the Vet and listening to the fans get on you for three solid hours. Those people invent new ways to abuse you every year." Bill Parcels on the Eagle's fans
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote