Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Agency

I'm starting to think free agency is overrated. Teams can improve just as much by signing released players or making trades. Compensatory picks can help keep your cap in check if you know how to draft (big 'if').

Overpaying for players for their past performance in a league that has the shortest tenure in regards to talent is too risky anymore. There's exceptions but I would be ok if this team sat out of free agency most years. There's too many other options out there that make more sense.

This chart shows the Eagles will most likely get picks with a combined value of the 37th pick overall. Not bad. Now that being said, it's not easy producing players that will need to get paid big bucks in free agency like Foles did.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/st....2d7621e2.html

Was it always that way, though? I don’t remember trades of this caliber 15 years ago.
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I'm going to guess there were probably a lot of factors that kept teams from making trades like the CBA, the way contracts were structured, and/or the salary cap. I know they moved the trade deadline from Week 6 to Week 8 which made more sense for teams to determine if they are actually a real contender or not. I'm not sure if any of these are the exact reason but that would be my guess.

Even without trades, it appears there's a lot of decent players that get cut, too. Sure, it's risky but it seems more and more players become available. For example, Jacksonville wanted to bring in Foles and cut half their roster which included several good players.

I have a feeling Howie is starting to realize the importance of not overpaying in free agency and I'm ok with that.

Comment

Working...
      X