Bryce Harper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
    Moniak has "serious potential"? He was the first pick overall and has 11 HRs in three years, strikes out a ton and doesn't get on base. He's been an unmitigated disaster. Hasely projects to be a 4th outfielder from most scouting reports I've seen, but who knows. The problem is the Phillies went for the next Christian Yellich (great hitting tool!)three drafts in a row, but were MIA for some reason when the real guy was available last year.

I'm not crazy about signing Kimbrel, but he's the second greatest closer ever and he will make the bullpen better. And it appears there will be plenty of Mr. Middleton's "stupid money" to spend, so I'd rather go after him than Keuchel (who I think will get rocked at CBP).
    In Moniak's defense, striking out isn't a big deal anymore. Guys are hitting over 200 now and it's good baseball or something.

i'm not moniak fan, but he did improve the second half of last year in Clearwater. This was after (I think) he went back to his high school swing and dumped what the phillies had him doing.

Phillies player development stinks as far as I am concerned. It's pretty garbage.
    “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

• Originally posted by 06hawkalum View Post
      He has converted 91% of his save opportunities and has a career 1.91 ERA and 0.92 WHIP.

Those are better numbers than even Mariano Rivera (89%, 2.21, 1.00) so Kimbrel is arguably the most dominant closer in the history of the game.

What's not to like?
      Kimbrel's numbers look a lot different in the postseason as do Rivera's. Anyone who has seen Kimbrel pitch would never argue that he is the most dominant closer in the history of the game.

Comment

• I think people are a little too hard on Moniak because he was the #1 pick. Some of it's rightfully so, but he was also a 19 year old in Clearwater, which is pretty young for high-A and improved big time at the end of last season. Check out his July and especially his August splits:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...=bgl&year=2018

Haseley has proven his hitting skills in every level of the minors he's entered thus far and looks pretty damn good in Spring Training.

The problem I have with Kimbrel is that closers can become head cases over time, so you can't completely base your opinion off historical numbers. Watching my boys see Kimbrel come out in the playoffs last year was like watching my Mutt fan friends see Billy Wagner come out to face Pat Burrell.

I've said this before about Keuchel and it really is all about the expectations you set with him. He could show flashes of the Cy Young-caliber pitcher he was in the past and he could show flashes of Joe Blanton. I think what's most likely is he's a solid innings-eater with a mid-high 3 ERA (aka Arrieta).
        Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

• Ask the 30 teams who still haven't signed him
          Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

• Yep ... I have a feeling superstars like knowing where the fuck they bat in the lineup before they read the lineup card.
            Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

• Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
              Sure seems that way. I dunno, I'm ready for it to be over, one way or another, but I don't buy any steam until I see something real. It's just been quiet. Steve phillips (former Mutts GM/guy who banged an ESPN PA) says a source in the Phillies FO believes chances of Phillies signing him are remote.
              Not to give the Phillies’ FO any undue credit here, but if the last few weeks have taught us anything, it’s that intentionally leaking that you’re “out of the running” (a variation of “our chances are remote’) seems to be part of the game.

I still don’t think we’re getting him, but after hearing of the latest meeting with the Giants, and the rumors of two more big market teams getting involved (that phrasing designed to imply Yankees and Cubs), LA isn’t looking like the slam dunk we thought they were.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if this thing dragged on for another two weeks and the Phillies became the “favorites” again.
              Last edited by The Duck; 02-27-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• What the Phillies did wrong was not to sell what great an off-season they had. Harper is over priced and not right for the market. Tickets in Philadelphia sell when you are winning.

Comment

• They got him.

Comment

Working...
                  X