Bryce Harper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anthony View Post
    “We’re going into this expecting to spend money,’’ Middleton told USA TODAY Sports. “And maybe even be a little bit stupid about it.’’ Middleton laughed, then said without smiling: “We just prefer not to be completely stupid."]
    We can argue semantics but it's still a stupid comment to say. Santana's and McCutchen's contract reiterated the point. 'Stupid' applies perfectly. He needed to not say anything. It's as simple as that.

Comment

• Jut, theoretically...Harper doesn’t sign here...

What’s your next move if you are the GM?

Comment

• Sign a starting pitcher and get ready for trout.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1960 View Post
          Sign a starting pitcher and get ready for trout.
          More like, get ready for Mookie Betts. I am sure the Red Sox have the inside track but Betts is arguably better than Harper.

Comment

• He is, but he ain’t leaving Boston. They’ll pay him and he’s a god there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
              This is going almost exactly how it went with J.D. Martinez last year who officially signed late February last year. Reports that he didn't want to play in Boston, mystery teams, contract concerns, etc,. They both are represented by Boras. My guess is the opt out language is most likely the holdup. I haven't heard anything regarding it but I personally see that always being an issue with these types of contracts when the player is so young. It's an obvious big decision for a player of this magnitude. I expect Boras is the reason for the delay. Middleton didn't do himself any favors with the 'stupid money' comment. As a result, here we are.
              Just saying...

Comment

• Probably nothing.

Kimbrel will be an extreme overpay for an elite closer, but he's got 2-3 years left at an elite level. I'm very anti-keuchel. Nice player, but signing an expensive Zach Eflin doesn't win the world series.

Spending Dollars for spending's sake is kind of a waste. Although, you could lock up a few guys like realmuto soon enough (who btw, the City is gonna love).

The phillies have a ton of middling AA/AAA starting pitching depth - they should exploit that on the trade market. My conspiracy theory is that Bohm, Moniak, Haseley, Garcia is part of the ask for Trout mid-season.
                Last edited by JuTMSY4; 02-26-2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• I would find more value in Harper getting shut down at this point, and purchasing tickets to his first game as a visitor in Philadelphia. That experience would be worth more to me than even a World Series. This guy does not want to be here. He's demanding an opt out? Why? It's insane. We are acting like this guy has led the Nationals to multiple championships or has some intangible leadership quality that we can see defined results from. He is not and does not have. He's a talented ball player that has smelled himself. We vanish, his "market" vanishes and there is no reason for any other team to approach him with "stupid money." It would reset the conversation entirely. That is my ideal outcome. We walk, his market disappears, he gets paid like 96m/3 years by the Dodgers. We get to turn up to CBP with an ax. Way more fun.
                  Charismatic megafauna.

Comment

• stop

Originally posted by HEREisAKERS View Post
                    That experience would be worth more to me than even a World Series.
                    this is untrue.
                    Last edited by JuTMSY4; 02-26-2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HEREisAKERS View Post
                      I would find more value in Harper getting shut down at this point, and purchasing tickets to his first game as a visitor in Philadelphia. That experience would be worth more to me than even a World Series. This guy does not want to be here. He's demanding an opt out? Why? It's insane. We are acting like this guy has led the Nationals to multiple championships or has some intangible leadership quality that we can see defined results from. He is not and does not have. He's a talented ball player that has smelled himself. We vanish, his "market" vanishes and there is no reason for any other team to approach him with "stupid money." It would reset the conversation entirely. That is my ideal outcome. We walk, his market disappears, he gets paid like 96m/3 years by the Dodgers. We get to turn up to CBP with an ax. Way more fun.
                      Opt outs are extremely common for young star baseball players. They are in nearly every contract for a Boras client. MLB's CBA runs through 2021 so everyone wants to be a free agent heading into 2022.

Comment

• No not really I would honestly have a blast at that. It's the ultimate manifestation of my inner hipster contrarian.
                        Charismatic megafauna.

Comment

• Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                          Probably nothing.

The phillies have a ton of middling AA/AAA starting pitching depth - they should exploit that on the trade market. My conspiracy theory is that Bohm, Moniak, Haseley, Garcia is part of the ask for Trout mid-season.
                          Problem is there are 20 teams that could top that. I'm not sure what Trout's trade clause is like though.

Comment

• Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
                            Problem is there are 20 teams that could top that. I'm not sure what Trout's trade clause is like though.
                            full no trade. I dunno about 20 teams, but there's probably a few that would have very competitive offers. Phillies still have a solid farm even w/o sixto.

Comment

• Originally posted by 06hawkalum View Post
                              More like, get ready for Mookie Betts. I am sure the Red Sox have the inside track but Betts is arguably better than Harper.
                              Very seldom does the stars align like the do it’s Trout and the Phils.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1960 View Post
                                Very seldom does the stars align like the do it’s Trout and the Phils.
                                Bingo you nailed it, forget Harper he does not want to be here so move on, Trout will either be a free agent in 2 years or traded next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X