IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 02-13-2018, 03:00 PM  
Posted in reply to 06hawkalum's post starting "If they trade Foles they will most..."
BigSlizz
2014 IGGLEPHANS SUICIDE POOL CHAMPION

BigSlizz is an unknown quantity at this point

In what universe is Tyrod Taylor better than Foles?
Unread 02-13-2018, 03:12 PM  
Posted in reply to Anthony's post "Can't Trade Foles"
Snakebitten

If Foles wants to go, I'd trade him for a Top 40 pick. I trust Big Balls to find an ample replacement in free agency. This team needs another draft pick and his stock will never be higher.
Snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2018, 04:01 PM  
Posted in reply to bobbyuk's post starting "Howie sits him down and asks him what..."
Corkey_for_President

He was about to RETIRE, but came back to play for FANDY - and then Doug. Doug is the only guy who came to scout him prior to the draft. I think there's a high level of comfort for him in his current situation. I think he flounders a bit as "The Man" and may be more comfortable staying here and getting decent back up money more so than anything else. Play a few more years, get decent pay (with no #1 QB pressure) and then head off to be a pastor. Honestly, it's a great situation for the Eagles, too, regardless of potential draft picks and the need to groom another back up.
Unread 02-13-2018, 04:04 PM  
Aggie Mo

Default Overlooked detail about Foles is his contract ...

He is signed for 4 more years at $20.5 million plus a $3million roster bonus due in March.

Everyone seems to think he is a free agent after 2018-19 -- that is only if they don't trade him.

The last 3 years of the contract automatically void if he is on the Eagles next February, but it seems like if they trade him the acquiring team has him for the rest of the deal. If this is true, this contract is a Howie special DESIGNED for him to be traded this offseason. That contract would make him much more valuable in a trade, and show an eery foresight by Roseman et al.

Is it far-fetched that a team would give up a first-round draft pick or equivalent for a SB MVP QB that showed what Foles showed in the playoffs for a mere $5M/year for 4 years?

You could get Cousins or Keenum without trading anything, but what is a bigger risk -- Cousins at $120M/4 years or Keenum for $80M/4 years without giving up a draft pick or $20M/4 years of Foles while giving up a high draft pick?

All it takes is for one team to see that value. I think they'll get a first or a second+third if they decide to trade him.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelp...ck-foles-9898/

Last edited by Aggie Mo; 02-13-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Aggie Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2018, 04:25 PM  
thegodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Need him to back up Wentz next season. Say he misses the first 4 games and for sake of argument they are against Minnesota, @Dallas, Atlanta and @Rams? Schedule could be front loaded for all they know.
Depends on what the offer is, if the Browns came calling with the #4 pick and wanting Foles and the Eagles #32 you have to pull the trigger, same for the Broncos.
thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2018, 06:09 PM  
Posted in reply to thegodfather's post starting "Depends on what the offer is, if the..."
RSE
Señor Counsel

I don’t think you trade Foles anywhere he doesn’t want to go.

The Browns won’t be trading the fourth pick for Foles because they’ll have used the first pick on Darnold or Rosen. If they don’t Cleveland will burn.
Unread 02-13-2018, 06:23 PM  
Posted in reply to RSE's post starting "I don’t think you trade Foles anywhere..."
JuTMSY4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie Mo View Post
He is signed for 4 more years at $20.5 million plus a $3million roster bonus due in March.

Everyone seems to think he is a free agent after 2018-19 -- that is only if they don't trade him.

The last 3 years of the contract automatically void if he is on the Eagles next February, but it seems like if they trade him the acquiring team has him for the rest of the deal. If this is true, this contract is a Howie special DESIGNED for him to be traded this offseason. That contract would make him much more valuable in a trade, and show an eery foresight by Roseman et al.

Is it far-fetched that a team would give up a first-round draft pick or equivalent for a SB MVP QB that showed what Foles showed in the playoffs for a mere $5M/year for 4 years?

You could get Cousins or Keenum without trading anything, but what is a bigger risk -- Cousins at $120M/4 years or Keenum for $80M/4 years without giving up a draft pick or $20M/4 years of Foles while giving up a high draft pick?

All it takes is for one team to see that value. I think they'll get a first or a second+third if they decide to trade him.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelp...ck-foles-9898/
No, it was designed to spread the bonuses over the years in the early going - Howie was playing with the salary cap. If Howie was planning this, he deserves a Nobel Prize and should probably move to vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSE View Post

The Browns won’t be trading the fourth pick for Foles because they’ll have used the first pick on Darnold or Rosen. If they don’t Cleveland will burn.
Pretty much this. I think you listen and talk to St. Nick. We have the best qb situation in the league. Carson and Nick also seem to really like each other.
JuTMSY4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2018, 06:35 PM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post starting "No, it was designed to spread the..."
Aggie Mo

So the contract voids next February if he is on "any" roster, not just the Eagles?
Aggie Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2018, 06:38 PM  
Posted in reply to Aggie Mo's post starting "So the contract voids next February if..."
JuTMSY4

Default did I say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie Mo View Post
So the contract voids next February if he is on "any" roster, not just the Eagles?
Given that certain "poison pill" contracts were outlawed in the last CBA, IIRC, my guess is that it's "any" roster, but I do not know. However, the intent by Howie was clear and has been written about a number of times this season.
JuTMSY4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2018, 08:19 PM  
Posted in reply to Ellsworth's post starting "agree with this. But, I doubt anyone..."
Drama Queen

Drama Queen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jimmy G was a gift from NE. Belichek wanted to keep him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellsworth View Post
agree with this.

But, I doubt anyone will pony that up when SF paid a 2 for Jimmy G.
... which is part of the reported discontent between Belichek, Brady and Kraft. One big reason he went to SF is that Belichek has a a lot of respect for Kyle Shanahan’s dad, who was an outspoken supporter of Belichek amidst the cheating scandles. Jimmy G was worth more than a second.

In truth, the Eagles would get a third or maybe a late second for Foles. Who knows, maybe a mid level player as a sweetener, too. Foles may have a contract, but he will be consulted about the team he would go to and the likeliness of signing a new deal, with contract parameters, etc.

Don’t forget, the supply/ demand balance of the QB market is not as good as it was 1-2 years ago,

Last edited by Drama Queen; 02-13-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Drama Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #31
FlyinHigh90

I keep seeing jimmy g being compared with Foles given our situation. Stop. I would pick jimmy over Foles any day. Don’t get me wrong, I love BDN and always will, but have y’all even seen jimmy G play? The mans a franchise QB. The niners committed robbery on that one.
FlyinHigh90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2018, 04:46 AM  
Posted in reply to RSE's post starting "I don’t think you trade Foles anywhere..."
thegodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSE View Post

If Cleveland takes a QB with the first pick it will show how stupid they are. They have their choice of 4 QBs, they also need a RB. Take Saquon Barkley with pick 1, Giants take Rosen at 2, Colts have 3 do not need a QB, then at 4 Cleveland can take any QB they want. If they take a QB at 1 that leaves Barkley open to Giants or Colts.
thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #33
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
If Cleveland takes a QB with the first pick it will show how stupid they are. They have their choice of 4 QBs, they also need a RB. Take Saquon Barkley with pick 1, Giants take Rosen at 2, Colts have 3 do not need a QB, then at 4 Cleveland can take any QB they want. If they take a QB at 1 that leaves Barkley open to Giants or Colts.
Not to change the subject of this thread but I wouldn't be shocked to see the Colts take a QB. How can you count on Andrew Luck at this point?
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote