IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 02-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
JuTMSY4

Default Phillies about to Acquire JT Realmuto

For jorge alfaro, Sixto Sanchez and a third piece.
JuTMSY4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
Ground_Meat

U like?

Iíve only heard great things about Sixto...
Ground_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2019, 12:48 PM  
Posted in reply to Ground_Meat's post starting "U like? Iíve only heard great things..."
The Duck

If it sways Harper, fine. If it doesnít, I donít see the point.
The Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2019, 12:49 PM  
Posted in reply to Ground_Meat's post starting "U like? Iíve only heard great things..."
nerd

nerd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground_Meat View Post
U like?

Iíve only heard great things about Sixto...
Prospects are a crap shoot BUT I would like them to have used Sixto and prospects to get a starting pitcher and not a catcher. Seems like a waste of resources.
Unread 02-07-2019, 01:05 PM  
JuTMSY4

Uh, the rumor is that Sixto fell out of favor for some poor conditioning that they didn't think seem fixable.

I'm not mad at trading him, I just don't see this is the best use of resources. Realmuto is arguably the best catcher in baseball and his just 2 years older than Alfaro - he's effectively Alfaro's ceiling maybe higher. But he has just 2 years of control.
Unread 02-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
Snakebitten

Was Alfaro that much of concern last year? Nope.
Is starting pitching currently a concern? Yup.

They burned several assets to upgrade catching? This front office continues to amaze.
Snakebitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2019, 01:33 PM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "Was Alfaro that much of concern last..."
JuTMSY4

Default I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebitten View Post
Was Alfaro that much of concern last year? Nope.
The Phillies got pretty weak production from the catcher spot last year. Alfaro's K rate is nuts. He's very raw, but incredibly athletic (pop rates and 90 foot times are near the best i baseball). He's tantalizing but also killed the Phillies with a number of mistakes. Realmuto cures literally all of those instantly and that's assuming the same production as he had in Miami.

If you assume they sold Sixto at the going rate (and I agree, seems low), then I'm not sure what level starter you get at his value. Also, keuchel is out there if you're into that.

Most importantly, starting pitching doesn't hold the same cache among progressive teams that it did before. But that's a philosophical question.

Bottom line: seems like an overpay, but I don't think anyone will be mad about watching Realmuto over Alfaro next year.
Unread 02-07-2019, 01:49 PM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post "I disagree"
Snakebitten

You need to have a mix of young talent and older talent. They are moving these players that they could have up to five or seven years of control for a player that will be here two years. If he's here longer, they will have to pay (or what they always do, overpay). Did they see enough of Alfaro to think he can't progress at 25? I guess so. I want my pitchers to come out of the farm and not free agency. History shows it's the best way to build a staff. I've said it before regarding all sports, I prefer to have young players playing for big contracts versus overspending for players in free agency.

Not to go too far off topic..As much as 'stupid money' sounds great, they will eventually run out of room. This front office has made plenty of moves over the last couple of years and most of them have been subpar at best. Like or not, this front office is failing. I have zero faith they know what they're doing.

Feel free to geighback this.
Unread 02-07-2019, 02:03 PM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post starting "Uh, the rumor is that Sixto fell out of..."
SOS Crunchy

Agreed, I think they know something about Sixto that we don't. He hasn't pitched in almost a year and was supposed to pitch in the Arizona Fall League, but was randomly 'scratched.'

Last edited by SOS Crunchy; 02-07-2019 at 02:03 PM.
SOS Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2019, 02:18 PM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "You need to have a mix of young talent..."
JuTMSY4

The alfaro comparison is where I think you fall flat. He's 25 with 4 years of control remaining vs Realmuto who is 27 with 2 years. If you believe in contending in 2019, it's worth accelerating.

It's worth noting Sixto is 2+ years away.

To me: I think you can debate whether this is an overpay in terms of resources (prospects or money eventually committed in the future), but the upgrade is obvious. This team gains several wins on Realmuto alone.

Last edited by JuTMSY4; 02-07-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Unread 02-07-2019, 02:34 PM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post starting "The alfaro comparison is where I think..."
SOS Crunchy

JTR is also apparently best friends with Harper...
Unread 02-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
thegodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
For jorge alfaro, Sixto Sanchez and a third piece.
I would not have given up Jorge, he is going to be an All Star
thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2019, 02:42 PM  
Posted in reply to SOS Crunchy's post starting "JTR is also apparently best friends..."
Ground_Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS Crunchy View Post
JTR is also apparently best friends with Harper...
If they land Harper, itís going to be hard to doubt this move.
Ground_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #14
JuTMSY4

Default I think he has the potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
I would not have given up Jorge, he is going to be an All Star
Athletically gifted, like Realmuto. But so much raw ability there and I'm not sure how much confidence you have to reach it. He certainly could be an All-star.
Unread 02-07-2019, 02:51 PM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post starting "The alfaro comparison is where I think..."
Snakebitten

I'm not disputing Realmuto isn't an upgrade. He is. I'm stating Sixto was their biggest asset. I had no issue seeing what Alfaro had for another year or so to keep that asset (or at the very least move him for another young starting pitching prospect). Right now, this team is not contending in 2019. Maybe they will add Harper, who knows?
Unread 02-07-2019, 02:54 PM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "I'm not disputing Realmuto isn't an..."
JuTMSY4

right...we agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
I'm not mad at trading him, I just don't see this is the best use of resources. Realmuto is arguably the best catcher in baseball and his just 2 years older than Alfaro - he's effectively Alfaro's ceiling maybe higher. But he has just 2 years of control.
Unread 02-07-2019, 03:13 PM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post starting "right...we agree"
rothdawg

rothdawg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be shocked if they don't add Harper and a SP.
rothdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2019, 03:20 PM  
Posted in reply to rothdawg's post starting "I'll be shocked if they don't add..."
JuTMSY4

Harper or Machado is happening. Personalities aside, Machado is simply a better fit, but I think harper would be way more fun here.

I'm not convinced they add a starter before the season starts unless it's a situation similar to Arrieta. Keuchel is perhaps just an expensive version of Eflin.

Last edited by JuTMSY4; 02-07-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 02-07-2019, 03:23 PM  
Posted in reply to Snakebitten's post starting "I'm not disputing Realmuto isn't an..."
06hawkalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebitten View Post
I'm not disputing Realmuto isn't an upgrade. He is. I'm stating Sixto was their biggest asset. I had no issue seeing what Alfaro had for another year or so to keep that asset (or at the very least move him for another young starting pitching prospect). Right now, this team is not contending in 2019. Maybe they will add Harper, who knows?
They have added two 2018 all-stars (Segura and Realmuto), a veteran former MVP who can still play (McCutcheon), and one of the best relievers in the game (Robertson).

They won 80 games in 2018 and have lost no one of value from their major league roster. This is absolutely a high 80 to low 90 win team as currently constructed.

They are also going to add two or three of the following: Harper, Machado, Keuchel, Kimbrel.

When all is said and done their expected win total is going to approach 100. Make no mistake Middleton is going all in.
06hawkalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2019, 03:29 PM  
Posted in reply to JuTMSY4's post starting "Harper or Machado is happening. ..."
rothdawg

rothdawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Iím not a Kuechel guy, might have to upgrade through trade. If they sign Harper, I can live with them upgrading there during the season. If they donít make another move, as others have pointed out, trading for Realmuto doesnít make sense. Today they went from an 82 win team to an 86 win team.
rothdawg is offline   Reply With Quote