TV purchase help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV purchase help

So we haven't had one of these thread in a bit. I ditched my 2004 bulky Samsung 65" color wheel. Think a few then also liked that one. Anyways 15 years later can someone explain all the new technology. I'm a Samsung guy. Looking for basic, I don't need all the bells. Just need help on what all the lingo is.

Tomshardware.com publishes electronics guides similar to the ones on cnet.com.
    Here's one they published last month on smart tv's...

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/tv-buyi...view-1943.html

Comment

4K. If youre into samsung look at QLED TVs. Im not sure you can get anything else these days but I wouldnt worry about buying a "smart TV". The software never gets updated and apps almost become unusable. Get a Roku Ultra or whatever edition Firestick Amazon is putting out for all your apps. Then youre set. Just my .02.
      Last edited by broadstreetparade; 08-14-2019, 05:41 PM.

Comment

SO THAT 15" BLACK AND WHITE WITH THE RABBIT EARS FINALLY BROKE DOWN HUH?
        "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
          Tomshardware.com publishes electronics guides similar to the ones on cnet.com.
          Here's one they published last month on smart tv's...

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/tv-buyi...view-1943.html
          That's a pretty decent guide. I pretty much agree with every point they make, especially about 4K and a soundbar being musts. Also the more ports the better. You never know when you might want to add another input source.
          --------
          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by broadstreetparade View Post
            4K. If youre into samsung look at QLED TVs. Im not sure you can get anything else these days but I wouldnt worry about buying a "smart TV". The software never gets updated and apps almost become unusable. Get a Roku Ultra or whatever edition Firestick Amazon is putting out for all your apps. Then youre set. Just my .02.
            I agree "smart TVs" are overrated. I just bought one because it was the right price but I'm pretty sure I am going to use my Roku for streaming and my FireTV for an OTA DVR.
            --------
            "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Just make sure it’s big enough for Ellsworth...

....otherwise he will snot up the windows trying to get a peak.
              "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

I got the 2019 QLED by Samsung and I love the TV

they make a few diff levels of the TV...Spend the extra 500 and get one with the best Refresh rate so there is Little to no Judder when watching fast paced sports.
                OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                "BFTR"

Comment

Originally posted by EagleFanInMD View Post
                  So we haven't had one of these thread in a bit. I ditched my 2004 bulky Samsung 65" color wheel. Think a few then also liked that one. Anyways 15 years later can someone explain all the new technology. I'm a Samsung guy. Looking for basic, I don't need all the bells. Just need help on what all the lingo is.
                  If you like Samsung but don't want ultra high-end, look at the Q6 series QLED. It's like a poor man's OLED, but they look pretty damn good. Just turn off the motion enhancement when you're watching movies.

Comment

Thats the one

not a big movie guy,,,but the color and depth is excellent,,Concerts are great too..

here is a slightly better version of it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-QN8...80ec4e1d3f831a
                    OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                    "BFTR"

Comment

This. Refresh rate is always my deciding factor when picking a TV. The bargain basement models always move all funky.
                      -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                        This. Refresh rate is always my deciding factor when picking a TV. The bargain basement models always move all funky.
                        I think 120hz is as high as they go anymore. They stopped marketing 240 and 480 because it was bogus.

You can still get an el-cheapo at 60hz, but any non-entry level TV should be 120hz now.

Comment

Does it get Star Blazers in the student lounge?

Cause that pretty much defines when tv jumped the shark.

we're off in outer space protecting mother earth...

Comment

seriously

just go to costco. Pick one you like.

Comment

Emachines makes tv’s.
                              It IS About Me Asshole
                              -----------------------
                              Fuck off, moron. - Kelly Green

Comment

Working...
                              X