Gonna be severly reducing the size of the archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna be severly reducing the size of the archives

Have the sense that this will reduce the load and decrease the "server too busy" problems.

Also it will reduce the recent epidemic of geigh-backing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VastXQ_hPb0
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I can see where this might limit the amount of time the "guests" are traversing the content, but I'm not sure that it lightens the server load (or overcomes the concurrent users limit, if there is one) in the long run.

Thanks for trying to address it, though. I've had quite a few conversations with frustrated boredmates about the technical problems. I know that the software has been good for us for a long, long time...but for my unsolicited two cents, I'm starting to think that it's getting time to either relocate the software to another host or to use another forum package.

Comment

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
        I can see where this might limit the amount of time the "guests" are traversing the content, but I'm not sure that it lightens the server load (or overcomes the concurrent users limit, if there is one) in the long run.

Thanks for trying to address it, though. I've had quite a few conversations with frustrated boredmates about the technical problems. I know that the software has been good for us for a long, long time...but for my unsolicited two cents, I'm starting to think that it's getting time to either relocate the software to another host or to use another forum package.
        I sure you got this Susq, but I'm willing to help too if need be, either researching forum packages, etc.... can even migrate old content over to new home if desired
        Last edited by dev_32; 12-03-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I'm kind of reluctant to change the hosting company... they have literally served us well over the years.

I do think a software upgrade is overdue especially due to security concerns

I've kept this s/w static because a number of people liked the fully threaded view (which I implemented as a mod to the stock code). But most of those people aren't participating in the board these days. I know in general people don't like user interface changes but progress is progress.

I'd also like to offer the real keys to the board to a few more people so it's assured it will continue if I die in a plane crash or something like that. Maybe we should establish a bored bored of directors.

Comment

Perhaps that may be too boring.

Comment

I don't know cuntboys about software, so let me know where to donate funds.
              Last edited by dirtyphil; 12-03-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

May have identified the problem. It's related to a setting in the board software.

Please let me know if things are better. I think we should still consider upgrading the board software.

Comment

don't know when you did the tweek but I have been getting on constantly all morning and there seems to be a good amount of traffic
                  On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

Ding! I think you might have hit on something. I did some digging, and there were two potential areas there the software might have been snagging. Hopefully you got 'er done.

Thanks!

(And I kind of like the bored board idea.)

Comment

Originally posted by dev_32 View Post
                      I sure you got this Susq, but I'm willing to help too if need be, either researching forum packages, etc.... can even migrate old content over to new home if desired
                      I'm not terribly experienced, but I've noodled with enough of this technology to be dangerous. And I'm sure that we have quite a few talented techies - like yourself - on this bored who can lend a hand if management needs assistance.

Comment

Still crashed alot last night

Originally posted by IGGLEPHANS View Post
                        Have the sense that this will reduce the load and decrease the "server too busy" problems.
                        Just delete everything pre-WORLD CHAMPIONS!
                        "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Its working much better for me today

gracias

Comment

Erase every post containing the words Kelly or Green.
                            500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

I can throw 3I’s mom on her back for a long weekend if you need some funding.

Comment

Working...
                              X