Patriots are sure to bring some schoolyard tricks on Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriots are sure to bring some schoolyard tricks on Sunday

Ive been thinking about that move they pulled against Baltimore that won them the playoff game three years ago and I wonder how the Eagles can game plan for things that are way at the fringes of football.

If you remember the Patriots lined a RB in the slot and had him set for a bubble screen. But the player was actually an ineligible receiver while a TE on the LOS was eligible in his place. They peeled the TE off the LOS and passed to him for an easy TD. In fact, if I remember the game correctly, the Patriots did this quite often in that game in order to secure a victory they wouldnt have otherwise enjoyed.

Of course it wasnt cheating since the practice wasnt outlawed by the rules (the practice has since been banned) but my concern is there is this pattern where the Patriots tend to play it square when they feel they can win on merit but then go crazy parsing rules in order to defeat superior opponents in big games.

Can the Eagles coaching staff prepare for and adapt to whatever weird shit the Patriots are sure to devise for Sunday? I, for one, cant even imagine what might be coming but, with a sizeable chunk of their coaching staff soon to depart, Doug and crew must be ready for the kitchen sink being heaved at them in this one.
    "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Ball control. You obviously beat Brady by getting at him. But you beat the Brady lead Patriots by keeping the ball in your hands. Eagles must do both to win.

Comment

The Patriots get blamed for doing "weird shit" or things on the "fringes of football".... but the only defense for that is knowing the rule book.
      If one team has a coaching staff that knows all the rules, and the other team has coaches that are weak on the rules, whose fault is that?

Comment

MisterBelvedere

Comment

MisterFister

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
            Ive been thinking about that move they pulled against Baltimore that won them the playoff game three years ago and I wonder how the Eagles can game plan for things that are way at the fringes of football.

If you remember the Patriots lined a RB in the slot and had him set for a bubble screen. But the player was actually an ineligible receiver while a TE on the LOS was eligible in his place. They peeled the TE off the LOS and passed to him for an easy TD. In fact, if I remember the game correctly, the Patriots did this quite often in that game in order to secure a victory they wouldnt have otherwise enjoyed.

Of course it wasnt cheating since the practice wasnt outlawed by the rules (the practice has since been banned) but my concern is there is this pattern where the Patriots tend to play it square when they feel they can win on merit but then go crazy parsing rules in order to defeat superior opponents in big games.

Can the Eagles coaching staff prepare for and adapt to whatever weird shit the Patriots are sure to devise for Sunday? I, for one, cant even imagine what might be coming but, with a sizeable chunk of their coaching staff soon to depart, Doug and crew must be ready for the kitchen sink being heaved at them in this one.

I don't understand. If the RB was on the LOS with an end outside him, he's inelgible because he's covered. All four players in the backfield are eligible receivers. Only the ends on the LOS are eligible.

If it "tricked" the defense, then shame on them for not counting who was in the backfield and who wasn't.

What rule was specifically changed because of this play? Do you have a link or an article to point to?

Comment

It is part of the Patriots' Mythology. They use plays that are so tricky... so diabolical and evil, that the rule book has to be re-worked after each game they play!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBoston View Post
                It is part of the Patriots' Mythology. They use plays that are so tricky... so diabolical and evil, that the rule book has to be re-worked after each game they play!
                what part of boston do you live in?

Comment

I guess I use "Boston" sort of generically. I am in a nearby community. Manchester, Massachusetts. But I lived in the City for a while long ago.

Comment

MisterBubble

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesphaninMD View Post
                      I don't understand. If the RB was on the LOS with an end outside him, he's inelgible because he's covered. All four players in the backfield are eligible receivers. Only the ends on the LOS are eligible.

If it "tricked" the defense, then shame on them for not counting who was in the backfield and who wasn't.

What rule was specifically changed because of this play? Do you have a link or an article to point to?
                      http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...sKO/story.html

Comment

Wow! I didn't know. That is bogus. Dumb Ravens D. The official even announced the inelligeble.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBoston View Post
                          The Patriots get blamed for doing "weird shit" or things on the "fringes of football".... but the only defense for that is knowing the rule book.
                          If one team has a coaching staff that knows all the rules, and the other team has coaches that are weak on the rules, whose fault is that?
                          That would be the opposing teams fault. Its still a fringe call used to defeat a superior opponent.

But youre getting defensive as if youre making excuses in advance. Because, lets face facts here, thirteen years ago the Patriots flat out broke the rules when they taped the Eagles’ practices before Super Bowl 39 then gave the players the audibles before the game.

“Every now and then I’d get a sheet, one hour before the game, with list of audibles for our opponent. I don’t know how but they just showed up.” Ted Johnson 2005.

Our team needs to be smart and look out for that shit because the Patriots do whatever they can to win, including cheating.

If you want to call it mystique to rationalize it, thats up to you. But facts are facts: On Sunday the Eagles face a team with a history of erased tapes, fines, investigations, revoked draft icks, rule changes, and suspensions ALL associated with efforts to cheat the game.
                          "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Southy

Comment

I hope the Eagles' coaching staff does not become overwhelmed by conspiracy theory... like some of the fans! That would not be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X