Phillies about to Acquire JT Realmuto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillies about to Acquire JT Realmuto

For jorge alfaro, Sixto Sanchez and a third piece.

U like?

I’ve only heard great things about Sixto...

Comment

If it sways Harper, fine. If it doesn’t, I don’t see the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post
        U like?

I’ve only heard great things about Sixto...
        Prospects are a crap shoot BUT I would like them to have used Sixto and prospects to get a starting pitcher and not a catcher. Seems like a waste of resources.
        “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

Uh, the rumor is that Sixto fell out of favor for some poor conditioning that they didn't think seem fixable.

I'm not mad at trading him, I just don't see this is the best use of resources. Realmuto is arguably the best catcher in baseball and his just 2 years older than Alfaro - he's effectively Alfaro's ceiling maybe higher. But he has just 2 years of control.

Comment

Was Alfaro that much of concern last year? Nope.
            Is starting pitching currently a concern? Yup.

They burned several assets to upgrade catching? This front office continues to amaze.

Comment

I disagree

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
              Was Alfaro that much of concern last year? Nope.
              The Phillies got pretty weak production from the catcher spot last year. Alfaro's K rate is nuts. He's very raw, but incredibly athletic (pop rates and 90 foot times are near the best i baseball). He's tantalizing but also killed the Phillies with a number of mistakes. Realmuto cures literally all of those instantly and that's assuming the same production as he had in Miami.

If you assume they sold Sixto at the going rate (and I agree, seems low), then I'm not sure what level starter you get at his value. Also, keuchel is out there if you're into that.

Most importantly, starting pitching doesn't hold the same cache among progressive teams that it did before. But that's a philosophical question.

Bottom line: seems like an overpay, but I don't think anyone will be mad about watching Realmuto over Alfaro next year.

Comment

You need to have a mix of young talent and older talent. They are moving these players that they could have up to five or seven years of control for a player that will be here two years. If he's here longer, they will have to pay (or what they always do, overpay). Did they see enough of Alfaro to think he can't progress at 25? I guess so. I want my pitchers to come out of the farm and not free agency. History shows it's the best way to build a staff. I've said it before regarding all sports, I prefer to have young players playing for big contracts versus overspending for players in free agency.

Not to go too far off topic..As much as 'stupid money' sounds great, they will eventually run out of room. This front office has made plenty of moves over the last couple of years and most of them have been subpar at best. Like or not, this front office is failing. I have zero faith they know what they're doing.

Feel free to geighback this.

Comment

Agreed, I think they know something about Sixto that we don't. He hasn't pitched in almost a year and was supposed to pitch in the Arizona Fall League, but was randomly 'scratched.'
                  Last edited by SOS Crunchy; 02-07-2019, 03:03 PM.
                  Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

The alfaro comparison is where I think you fall flat. He's 25 with 4 years of control remaining vs Realmuto who is 27 with 2 years. If you believe in contending in 2019, it's worth accelerating.

It's worth noting Sixto is 2+ years away.

To me: I think you can debate whether this is an overpay in terms of resources (prospects or money eventually committed in the future), but the upgrade is obvious. This team gains several wins on Realmuto alone.
                    Last edited by JuTMSY4; 02-07-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

JTR is also apparently best friends with Harper...
                      Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                        For jorge alfaro, Sixto Sanchez and a third piece.
                        I would not have given up Jorge, he is going to be an All Star

Comment

Originally posted by SOS Crunchy View Post
                          JTR is also apparently best friends with Harper...
                          If they land Harper, it’s going to be hard to doubt this move.

Comment

I think he has the potential

Originally posted by thegodfather View Post
                            I would not have given up Jorge, he is going to be an All Star
                            Athletically gifted, like Realmuto. But so much raw ability there and I'm not sure how much confidence you have to reach it. He certainly could be an All-star.

Comment

I'm not disputing Realmuto isn't an upgrade. He is. I'm stating Sixto was their biggest asset. I had no issue seeing what Alfaro had for another year or so to keep that asset (or at the very least move him for another young starting pitching prospect). Right now, this team is not contending in 2019. Maybe they will add Harper, who knows?

Comment

Working...
                              X