IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 11-03-2017, 02:43 PM  
Posted in reply to PackWest's post starting "He isn't very good and he's a..."
Drama Queen

Drama Queen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Everything Slag said plus this

He's just not very good. Teams would have to tailor an offense much like they did with Tebow. Its not worth it.

If Kap can catch, he should trying making it that way, much like Pryor with the Racists.
Drama Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2017, 03:21 PM  
TerpEagle

Meanwhile, Jeff George got resigned by 4 teams and played for 12 years, finally not returning to the NFL after he had a QB rating of 34 after 5 games.

That doesn't even include the statistical differences between their performances.

But other than that, fair point.
Unread 11-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #23
TerpEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen View Post
He's just not very good. Teams would have to tailor an offense much like they did with Tebow. Its not worth it.

If Kap can catch, he should trying making it that way, much like Pryor with the Racists.
I'm amazed at these arguments.

Teams have to tailor their offense? But these other shlubs off the street are so well versed that they fit in just great?
Unread 11-03-2017, 03:24 PM  
Posted in reply to McCarthy12's post starting "I'm willing to bet that if any..."
TerpEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy12 View Post
I'm willing to bet that if any particular NFL owner thought that his team would be better off both on the field and financially, by signing Kaep, they would do so. They obviously believe that the current situation will either blow over or be less financially problematic than signing him. Maybe they are wrong, but that is almost certainly their calculation right now.
They didn't sign him and this whole mess blew over. Maybe time to get new actuaries.

Last edited by TerpEagle; 11-03-2017 at 03:24 PM.
TerpEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2017, 04:01 PM  
Posted in reply to TerpEagle's post starting "Meanwhile, Jeff George got resigned by..."
Eagle Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpEagle View Post
Meanwhile, Jeff George got resigned by 4 teams and played for 12 years, finally not returning to the NFL after he had a QB rating of 34 after 5 games.

That doesn't even include the statistical differences between their performances.

But other than that, fair point.

Not arguing your point Terp, but asking, if this whole thing was about injustice in America I think (at least on the football side) that Doug Williams would be a better comparison than Jeff George?

Guy won a superbowl and then couldn't get signed anywhere, on top of that, he was a great influence in the locker room, but the SB win was deemed the highlight of his career and nobody else ever took a chance on him.
Eagle Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2017, 04:11 PM  
Posted in reply to TerpEagle's post starting "I'm amazed at these arguments. Teams..."
PackWest

Quote:
I'm amazed at these arguments.

Teams have to tailor their offense? But these other shlubs off the street are so well versed that they fit in just great?
here's Andy Benoit from SI on the subject

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/07/c...p-quarterbacks

"The more of Kaepernick they saw, the more ways they found to exploit his failings. Not coincidentally, until last season, Kaepernickís passer rating, TD-INT ratio, sack rating and yards per attempt declined steadily from 2013Ė15.

Last seasonís statistical rebound was mostly artificial. The Niners went 1Ė10 in games that Kaepernick started, and each week, the tape revealed a startling number of plays where Kaepernickís read was clear, but he didnít attempt the throw. This has always been an issue with Kaepernick, and itís one that fans can never see on paper. Thereís no way to statistically capture the impact of balls that should be thrown but arenít.

To coaches, unattempted open throws are a huge problem, probably worse than everything except turnovers."

"Tebow, in fact, was virtually the exact same scenario as Kaepernick, only more extreme. Tebowís supporters were more ardent than Kaepernickís, and Tebow was a markedly worse QB. NFL teams donít care which end of the spectrum the distraction comes from. They only care that the backup quarterback brings any sort of distraction. But more than that, they care that the quarterback canít play the way they need him to play. "
PackWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2017, 04:34 PM  
Posted in reply to PackWest's post starting "here's Andy Benoit from SI on the..."
TerpEagle

Oh, Tebow now. He resigned with another team and had others who brought him in for a look.

The team around Kaepernick fell apart. The GM was replaced. Coaches were replaced. They're awful regardless of their QB.

But his singular regression was so poor that Tim Tebow got more looks.

Last edited by TerpEagle; 11-03-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Unread 11-03-2017, 04:37 PM  
Posted in reply to Eagle Road's post starting "Not arguing your point Terp, but..."
TerpEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Road View Post
Not arguing your point Terp, but asking, if this whole thing was about injustice in America I think (at least on the football side) that Doug Williams would be a better comparison than Jeff George?

Guy won a superbowl and then couldn't get signed anywhere, on top of that, he was a great influence in the locker room, but the SB win was deemed the highlight of his career and nobody else ever took a chance on him.
Doug Williams had one season with a QB rating above 90. He threw 100 TD to 93 Ints. His career completion percentage was < 50%. His career QB rating was 69. And he won that SB at 33.

Good comparison.

Last edited by TerpEagle; 11-03-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Unread 11-03-2017, 04:47 PM  
Posted in reply to TerpEagle's post starting "Doug Williams had one season with a QB..."
Eagle Road

Quote:
Doug Williams had one season with a QB rating above 90. He threw 100 TD to 93 Ints. His career completion percentage was < 50%. His career QB rating was 69. And he won that SB at 33.

Good comparison.

Kap's last 3 years, were hardly better, his Carreer QBR is under 90. was also under 50% cp and in 15 had 6 td's and 5 int. Not so different.

Last edited by Eagle Road; 11-03-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Eagle Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2017, 05:06 PM  
Posted in reply to Eagle Road's post starting "Kap's last 3 years, were hardly better,..."
TerpEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Road View Post
Kap's last 3 years, were hardly better, his Carreer QBR is under 90. was also under 50% cp and in 15 had 6 td's and 5 int. Not so different.
Huh? Williams had one year over 90. His career rating is 69.

Kaepernick: Career rating 89. Lowest, not overall, 78.

Williams threw 100 TDs and 93 interceptions.

Kaepernick: 72 TDs and 30 interceptions.

Williams had a career completion percentage of 49.5

Kaepernick: Lowest percentage of 58.4. Never under 50.

Williams was 34 when he played his last season for Washington and then couldn't get another job.

Kaepernick: Turned 30 today.

I mean, I'm sure you guys can find someone who actual helps your arguments, right?

Last edited by TerpEagle; 11-03-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Unread 11-03-2017, 05:43 PM  
Posted in reply to TerpEagle's post starting "They didn't sign him and this whole..."
McCarthy12

McCarthy12 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I say the situation will blow over, I'm really referring just to the drama over Kaep himself. I would argue that the national anthem protests have morphed into an issue larger than Kaep. In fact there was the whole thing with Jenkins inviting him to the NFL meeting and Kaep calling Jenkins a liar, etc. It's not about Kaep anymore. He's no longer the torch bearer for the NFL players.

If a team signed him today, the protests would continue and they will continue, with or without him, until who knows when. But Kaep has his own personal baggage (the pig stuff, fidel castro - stuff that he did that the media will want to discuss ad nauseum). So while the issue was made larger, signing Kaep is really just about Kaep and his risk/reward.

Last edited by McCarthy12; 11-03-2017 at 05:43 PM.
McCarthy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2017, 06:37 PM  
Posted in reply to TerpEagle's post starting "Huh? Williams had one year over 90. ..."
PackWest

Quote:

I mean, I'm sure you guys can find someone who actual helps your arguments, right?
Depends on whether you rely on box score scouting to make personnel decisions
Not aware of any teams that use that strategy, maybe the Podesta-Browns.

Gotta run - I'm off to a land war in Asia, but I did get a chuckle out of your Terpitude
PackWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2017, 06:58 PM  
Melchior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackWest View Post
He isn't very good and he's a douchebag. And you'd have to change your entire offense to suit him. Why would anybody do that ? Why would 10 other players change everything they've done for the entire season to accommodate a douchebag who isn't very good ?
Pretty simple stuff

Jeff George had a cannon arm and was a former 1st rounder. The reason he couldn't find work had little to do with his QB skills. It was because he was a dickhead. And you can't have a dickhead as the leader of your team and face of your franchise.

How come nobody cried a river for Jeff George, while lesser QBs found work ?

If yer pining for Kaep, yer a fucking dumbass.
The Texans wouldn't have to change their offense at all, as it was running under Watson. And being that Jay fucking Cutler has found work, you're going to tell me that being an asshole is the absolute deal-breaker?
Unread 11-03-2017, 10:48 PM  
Posted in reply to PackWest's post starting "Depends on whether you rely on box..."
TerpEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackWest View Post
Depends on whether you rely on box score scouting to make personnel decisions
Not aware of any teams that use that strategy, maybe the Podesta-Browns.

Gotta run - I'm off to a land war in Asia, but I did get a chuckle out of your Terpitude
Tebow must have been given those tryouts based on the eye test compared to Kaepernick.
Unread 11-03-2017, 10:56 PM  
Posted in reply to TerpEagle's post starting "Tebow must have been given those..."
stjoebirdsfan

stjoebirdsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

If this is really some league-wide, coordinated collusion against Kaepernick because he is an outspoken black player, why are Richard Sherman, Malcolm Jenkins, Michael Bennett, et al still employed?

Seems like a more convincing argument vs trying to cherrypick old players
stjoebirdsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2017, 11:00 PM  
Posted in reply to Melchior's post starting "The Texans wouldn't have to change..."
TerpEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
The Texans wouldn't have to change their offense at all, as it was running under Watson. And being that Jay fucking Cutler has found work, you're going to tell me that being an asshole is the absolute deal-breaker?
Yates and McGloin know the system! You know, the one that was 28th in yards and 29th in points last year before Deshaun Watson.

But I'm just looking at stats.
Unread 11-03-2017, 11:18 PM  
Posted in reply to PackWest's post starting "here's Andy Benoit from SI on the..."
Drama Queen

Drama Queen is an unknown quantity at this point

I didnít see that article, but the comparison is interesting.
Drama Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2017, 12:54 AM  
Posted in reply to stjoebirdsfan's post starting "If this is really some league-wide,..."
art vandelay
de Madrid

art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point

Simple, no one ever said they would boycott a team for employing Malcolm Jenkins. No one ever burned his jersey or printed a t-shirt that had him in crosshairs.

-Dominic Rhodes
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2017, 09:28 AM  
Posted in reply to stjoebirdsfan's post starting "If this is really some league-wide,..."
TerpEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoebirdsfan View Post
If this is really some league-wide, coordinated collusion against Kaepernick because he is an outspoken black player, why are Richard Sherman, Malcolm Jenkins, Michael Bennett, et al still employed?

Seems like a more convincing argument vs trying to cherrypick old players
I'm not cherry picking old players. Others are comparing Kaepernick to Tebow and Doug Williams as their evidence that this is based on him being a no-talent, washed up QB that can't understand an offense other than the one he ran in SF.