No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Audiobooks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use them all the time and I go through audible.com. Its like 15 bucks a month for one book, but that doesn't really matter. You can download a book and then return it for any reason no questions asked (a bit unethical) but usually I'll download a book and if I get 1/4 the way through and don't like it just return it and get something else. Its very simple and they have a huge selection. I know there's a way to do it through the library too but I find their app to be cumbersome. Audible I just order it online and download to my phone instantly, then just delete it when I'm done off the phone. Check out King's 11/22/63, it was really good and not like a normal horror story, also I've hit up all the GoT books, Wheel of Time, tons of fantasy stuff and quiet a few non-fiction books that were really good. Makes long car rides go quickly, I even use it for short rides.
    If you’re not from here, you don’t understand it. If you don’t understand it, you hate it. And if you hate it, we hate you.

"Philadelphia is the only city, where you can experience the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day." by Mike Schmidt

Comment

ARCHIVE.ORG HAS ABOUT 11,000 FREE AUDIO BOOKS, AND TONS OF OTHER CRAP, MUSIC, MOVIES, OLD VIDEO GAMES, ETC. I'M LISTENING TO ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER OFF AND ON.
      "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
        Need to get books narrated by a William Shatner!
        or Mr. T lol
        YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

Not much going on around here, so at the risk of turning our usual circle jerk into a knitting circle, I wanted to get your thoughts on audiobooks.

I've never listened to one, but I have this concern they'll curb my desire to actually read, heightening my potential to become much dumber.

Thoughts?
          I don't know if you ended up going with Audible, but I rescind my earlier comment regarding their app.

I decided to give it a try again and I'm actually very pleased with it. The breakdown by chapters, 30-sec skipping and ability to increase the reading speed at all pretty solid.
          --
          Your Retarded

Comment

Not much going on around here, so at the risk of turning our usual circle jerk into a knitting circle, I wanted to get your thoughts on audiobooks.

I've never listened to one, but I have this concern they'll curb my desire to actually read, heightening my potential to become much dumber.

Thoughts?
            Love them. So convenient. I used to be lucky to read a couple of books a year. Now I listen to dozens a year while driving, exercising, etc. Have Colin Igguldens excellent series on The War of The Roses and a biography of RFK going now.

I dont see a downside. If you dont comprehend a part, rewind.
            Last edited by Maniac; 07-08-2017, 02:57 PM.
            Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

A bad narrator can ruin a good book but most of the readers are solid.

Comment

It's better than not doing it ... but it's still listening ... not reading.
                Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                  It's better than not doing it ... but it's still listening ... not reading.
                  True. I understand the prejudice but what really makes reading better? I think the exposure to the books is what matters.

Never would have done great literature like Updike's "Run Rabbit Run" or Machiavelli's "The Prince" otherwise. So difficult to find the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                    True. I understand the prejudice but what really makes reading better? I think the exposure to the books is what matters.

Never would have done great literature like Updike's "Run Rabbit Run" or Machiavelli's "The Prince" otherwise. So difficult to find the time.
                    As someone who is studying a second language, I think it is important to read, write, speak and listen. Reading and writing are the definition of literacy.

It's obviously different if you are listening to books being read in your native language for pleasure. So enjoy your audiobooks!
                    --------
                    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I'm not pissing on audiobooks ... in fact, I'm not sure I'm qualified to express a true opinion because I only tried one and had a bad narrator.

Instinctively however, I do believe you can probably learn just as much listening to a book as reading it ... and a story is a story whether you read it or listen to someone else read it.

However, my instinct is that you become a better writer by reading ... not so much by listening.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                        I'm not pissing on audiobooks ... in fact, I'm not sure I'm qualified to express a true opinion because I only tried one and had a bad narrator.

Instinctively however, I do believe you can probably learn just as much listening to a book as reading it ... and a story is a story whether you read it or listen to someone else read it.

However, my instinct is that you become a better writer by reading ... not so much by listening.
                        You certainly learn how to spell from reading.
                        --------

Comment

I think you absorb more by reading

Comment

I'm just saying all ways of taking in information are valuable.

I had some professors at Cornell who were far more efficient in conveying knowledge in a lecture than I would gain by reading a book.

With others, I'd be better off reading a book.

Bottom line, if you spend a lot of time driving to work, I think you might be better off listening to an audiobook than listening to Chris Christie on WFAN.
                            --------

Comment

Well ... unless you'd rather yell at the radio instead of at texting asswipes who drift into your lane.

Comment

Working...
                              X