IGGLEPHANS  

Go Back   IGGLEPHANS > Igglephans Main Board

Unread 12-05-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
Dim Bulb

Dim Bulb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does Igglephans have a position on net neutrality?

These changes seem like a shitty idea to me. If Comcast can block Igglephans what the fuck am I going to do with my time? Go back to the Philly.com board? Does it still exist? Fuck em, I say. I want my MTV or something...
Unread 12-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #2
tjl88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim Bulb View Post
These changes seem like a shitty idea to me. If Comcast can block Igglephans what the fuck am I going to do with my time? Go back to the Philly.com board? Does it still exist? Fuck em, I say. I want my MTV or something...
Blocking/throttling websites concern seems overblown. Isnít that what the FTC is for? Either way is the internet really neutral when a couple of companies control the flow of information?
Fuck off, moron. - Kelly Green
tjl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2017, 12:56 AM  
Posted in reply to tjl88's post starting "Blocking/throttling websites concern..."
broadstreetparade

broadstreetparade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl88 View Post
Blocking/throttling websites concern seems overblown. Isnít that what the FTC is for? Either way is the internet really neutral when a couple of companies control the flow of information?
Nice try Comcast!
broadstreetparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Loki

Default KG is gonna be pissed

You have to know that his ISP is going to at least slow down those titty milk sites.
Squirt rolling circle squirt spinning timer squirt

Or even perhaps the "this video is unavailable in your country " message
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2017, 01:00 PM  
Posted in reply to Loki's post "KG is gonna be pissed"
BigSlizz
2014 IGGLEPHANS SUICIDE POOL CHAMPION

BigSlizz is an unknown quantity at this point

He'll be even more pissed when he finds out that the new web won't support late model E-Machines.
Unread 12-06-2017, 01:19 PM  
Posted in reply to tjl88's post starting "Blocking/throttling websites concern..."
TROGDOR

Send a message via AIM to TROGDOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl88 View Post
Many of the concerns coming out are about the consumer and how they will be up charged or have bundled services. I think those arguments are less of a concern.

What people really need to be looking at are that the majority of the ISPs in the country are also content providers. Which means they have complete control over making sure a competing product has no platform to stand on (if they see fit). That is what the law is meant to protect.

Still working on a good analogy for this, but so far here is the best one i can come up with -

"You have a new product that you can only sell at Home Depot and Lowes. However both of those stores already have a version of your product they sell and make money off of. What incentive do they have to give your product space in their store?"
TROGDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2017, 01:32 PM  
Posted in reply to BigSlizz's post starting "He'll be even more pissed when he finds..."
slag

slag is an unknown quantity at this point

He'll have to buy three more hamsters and running wheels.
Unread 12-06-2017, 02:50 PM  
Posted in reply to TROGDOR's post starting "Many of the concerns coming out are..."
Melchior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROGDOR View Post
Many of the concerns coming out are about the consumer and how they will be up charged or have bundled services. I think those arguments are less of a concern.

What people really need to be looking at are that the majority of the ISPs in the country are also content providers. Which means they have complete control over making sure a competing product has no platform to stand on (if they see fit). That is what the law is meant to protect.

Still working on a good analogy for this, but so far here is the best one i can come up with -

"You have a new product that you can only sell at Home Depot and Lowes. However both of those stores already have a version of your product they sell and make money off of. What incentive do they have to give your product space in their store?"
Excellent breakdown of this.
Unread 12-06-2017, 04:23 PM  
Posted in reply to TROGDOR's post starting "Many of the concerns coming out are..."
TerpEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROGDOR View Post
The only caveat to this analogy is that the only place you can buy this product is at Home Depot or Lowes. And, for the most part, Home Depot and Lowes don't share territory.
Unread 12-06-2017, 07:31 PM  
Loki

Default One more thing to add to the last para

"You can, in many instances, ONLY shop at one of those stores."
Unread 12-06-2017, 07:34 PM  
Loki

Default And yea, you might get ESPN.com

through your Xfinity ISP, but it's going to be so fuckingly annoying slow that you'll likely only visit the NBCsports.com site.
Unread 12-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #12
broadstreetparade

broadstreetparade is on a distinguished road

saying throttling concerns are overblown is stupid. My network provider (Comcast) already very obviously throttles my network when I try to stream Sunday ticket or WatchESPN on my Roku. There’s really nothing you can do about it either.

Edit to add: until google fiber comes to your neighborhood.

Last edited by broadstreetparade; 12-06-2017 at 07:44 PM.
broadstreetparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2017, 02:25 AM  
Posted in reply to broadstreetparade's post starting "Nice try Comcast!"
Dim Bulb

Dim Bulb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Comradecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstreetparade View Post
Nice try Comcast!
The new Pravda.