Phillies should sign Arrieta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillies should sign Arrieta

Let’s keep the train rolling. Middleton talks a good game, and I believe that he’s a fan and wants to win. Time to walk the walk.I understand the risk of signing a pitcher in his 30s, but the Phillies have one of the lowest payrolls in baseball. Signing Arrieta is not going to prevent them from signing Harper or Machado next year.

I'm on board

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
    Let’s keep the train rolling. Middleton talks a good game, and I believe that he’s a fan and wants to win. Time to walk the walk.I understand the risk of signing a pitcher in his 30s, but the Phillies have one of the lowest payrolls in baseball. Signing Arrieta is not going to prevent them from signing Harper or Machado next year.
    I get it, but I also don't. my understanding is the MLB soft cap is based on AAV, so years really matter (vs. frontloading). So I understand the unwillingness to commit. Apparently they're at 3/82, which is pretty significant, but Arrieta wants 5+ (coming down from 6). Sounds like 4/100+ should get it done.

Either that, or Lance Lynn or Alex Cobb should be in camp by now. Even a #3 type starter is a piece that would help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
      I get it, but I also don't. my understanding is the MLB soft cap is based on AAV, so years really matter (vs. frontloading). So I understand the unwillingness to commit. Apparently they're at 3/82, which is pretty significant, but Arrieta wants 5+ (coming down from 6). Sounds like 4/100+ should get it done.

Either that, or Lance Lynn or Alex Cobb should be in camp by now. Even a #3 type starter is a piece that would help a lot.
      At this point I can’t see Arrieta getting 5 years.

Comment

As long as Boras is his agent he’ll get the 5 years from someone. Just like the Vikings getting desperate for a QB in 2016, some team who they believe is closer to contention will get desperate and give him what he wants.

Comment

Working...
        X