I am in the wrong profession.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am in the wrong profession.

My car failed inspection because the lights above my license plates were out. The inspection station installed new bulbs but it wasn't that, so I went to a garage that does electrical work. Cost me 1/10th of the blue book value of my car, and I was lucky they were able to repair the electrical harness instead of having to order one.

ASIDE: yes, I drive a six year old Sentra while my ex-wife drives a BMW on my alimony tab. Gentlemen do not get divorced in New Jersey unless you hire IRISH GEORGE's lipstick lesbian shark.
    Last edited by RSE; 09-29-2017, 02:37 PM.

Does this mean you should have been a mechanic or a family lawyer? Because family law clients seem miserable.

Comment

I made a right mess of that. I should have been a mechanic.

Comment

I suppose you're lucky to still have the car. Sometimes when the electrical system is shot, the car is considered a total loss, because it's just too labor intensive to fix.
        Last edited by Susquehanna Birder; 09-29-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Believe me when they told me "it's not the bulb" a shiver went down my spine. But I had had no other electrical problems with the car knock on wood, and I wasn't surprised it was one contact in one harness. I don't have any complaints really, it's been a good car.

Comment

One time my car got partially submerged

Originally posted by RSE View Post
            Believe me when they told me "it's not the bulb" a shiver went down my spine. But I had had no other electrical problems with the car knock on wood, and I wasn't surprised it was one contact in one harness. I don't have any complaints really, it's been a good car.
            In water (I wasn't drinking) and the electric system was never the same. Seems like when something goes on the fritz electrically you are soundly and hopelessly fucked. Not to rain on your parade but I hope they got it right.
            DB

Comment

That's how I feel about my plumbing/HVAC guys.
              "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

that's how I feel

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                That's how I feel about my plumbing/HVAC guys.
                about a number of my smart friends who went into trades/non-college activities. No debt, head start and they have pretty great salaries today or at least commensurate with those who have even advanced degrees.

Sure there's some sweat equity in working some crappy job(s) to get up there but they end up running some good small businesses all the same.
                Last edited by JuTMSY4; 09-29-2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Lots of plumbers own places downashore
                  John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Not to bust your ass RSE, but the grass always looks greener,,,,,

couple things to consider, Unless the mechanic that ACTUALLY worked on your car owned the shop, he got a small percentage of the total billed.

By the time you have a career invested in the mechanic trade you probably have more in tools and schooling than a College degree. My brothers tool box is well over a 100 grand.

The changes in Law for instance that I would imagine that you have to keep up with are nothing compare to how fast new models and technology change.

There are a lot more gruesome details of the trades that I won't get into, just pointing out that both paths have their pluses and minuses.

Comment

When we lived in the Southern Tier

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                      My car failed inspection because the lights above my license plates were out. The inspection station installed new bulbs but it wasn't that, so I went to a garage that does electrical work. Cost me 1/10th of the blue book value of my car, and I was lucky they were able to repair the electrical harness instead of having to order one.

ASIDE: yes, I drive a six year old Sentra while my ex-wife drives a BMW on my alimony tab. Gentlemen do not get divorced in New Jersey unless you hire IRISH GEORGE's lipstick lesbian shark.
                      There was a Binghamton grad who opened an auto repair shop. Smart guy, kept the business small (no rows of cars waiting to be repaired), was honest when he needed more time to research an issue and also honest about the costs. PLUS-he immediately took our car back in once (and fixed it while I waited) when he repaired something and the car still wasn't right.

I told him that maybe I should have done what he did instead of trying to learn how to save the world. That was about 25 years ago. Still feel that way sometimes...

Comment

LOL...Electric issues, I used to have a VW Bug and the radio station would change when I opened the door
                        YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

Working...
                        X