No announcement yet.

The Outlaw Josey Wales was just on AMC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All those mentioned by you and Duck are on my top Westerns list ... but I would also include The Searchers and High Plains Drifter ... and, although it's a lame love story, the shootout at the end of Open Range is fucking outstanding.

Appaloosa is also pretty damn good also.

Another personal observation: Although Tombstone beats Wyatt Earp for the same basic subject matter, and I prefer the Val Kilmer Doc Holliday, Dennis Quaid's Holliday in Wyatt Earp is a pisser.

EDITED TO ADD: Don't know if it qualifies as a western, but Last of the Mohicans is also fucking great.
    Last edited by slag; 06-08-2017, 03:50 PM.
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
      All those mentioned by you and Duck are on my top Westerns list ... but I would also include The Searchers and High Plains Drifter ... and, although it's a lame love story, the shootout at the end of Open Range is fucking outstanding.

Appaloosa is also pretty damn good also.

Another personal observation: Although Tombstone beats Wyatt Earp for the same basic subject matter, and I prefer the Val Kilmer Doc Holliday, Dennis Quaid's Holliday in Wyatt Earp is a pisser.

EDITED TO ADD: Don't know if it qualifies as a western, but Last of the Mohicans is also fucking great.
      Not sure if Mohicans qualifies either, but it's awesome.

And even though it effectively killed the genre for almost 15 years, Heaven's Gate is another great western.
      Last edited by The Duck; 06-08-2017, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Red River has to be mentioned

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
        Unforgiven is the hands-down greatest modern western, followed closely by Tombstone. And given that they came within less than a year of each other after practically no high-profile westerns through the 80s, it's reasonable to assume Unforgiven's success paved the way for Tombstone. Prior to that, it was a dormant genre.

My all-time favorite westerns are Once Upon a Time in West, Shane, and The Good, the Bad & the Ugly. I haven't seen Josey Wales in years, I'm going to watch it again this weekend.
        3:10 to Yuma, the one with Glenn Ford.

But my all time favorite is probably The Man Who Killed Liberty Valance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita Khrushchev View Post
          3:10 to Yuma, the one with Glenn Ford.

But my all time favorite is probably The Man Who Killed Liberty Valance.
          Also two excellent movies. 3:10 to Yuma with the great Van Heflin.

Comment

I don't know about that

Cowboys vs Aliens was pretty bad ass
            John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

We could keep going here ... the John Ford triolgy (Ft. Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande) ... Winchester 73 ... Ox Bow Incident ... High Noon ... and how the fuck did we forget The Wild Bunch.

Comment

We could keep going here ... the John Ford triolgy (Ft. Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande) ... Winchester 73 ... Ox Bow Incident ... High Noon ... and how the fuck did we forget The Wild Bunch.
                How about The Shootist? John Wayne's last movie. Perfect career finish.
                Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

How the West Was Won... The Searchers (just on TMC this week)... Blazing Saddles...
                  Last edited by The Duck; 06-09-2017, 12:23 AM.

Comment

THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY......OR YOU MIGHT SAY.....
                    THE ZUBAZ, THE TRENT AND THE DSG.
                    "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

meh

Comment

Already mentioned The Searchers (my personal favorite John Wayne role).

One I forgot is Hombre, where IMO Paul Newman is better than in Butch Cassidy, although Butch Cassidy is pretty good.

Richard Boone is a hell of a bad guy in Hombre also.

Speaking of bad guys ... I agree with you on Once Upon a Time in the West ... how can you not love a movie when Henry Fonda is the bad guy?

Comment

ONE OF MY TOP FIVE, THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE.
                          "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

The Magnificent Seven ... The Virginian ... A Fistful of Dollars

Westerns are like pizza.

Comment

Can I bring up McClintock? Or does that one not count?

Comment

El Dorado > Rio Bravo because Ricky Nelson and Dean Martin singing. WTF was that.

Comment

Working...
                                X