Virgin London Marathon 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin London Marathon 2017

Hi guys and gals. Tomorrow I will be running in my 2nd straight London Marathon. Last year's ended for me after 15 miles because of back spasms the last 5 miles. Part of the reason for that I believe was my late entry for the charity I ran it for and I only trained for 4 months. If you're not naturally a runner like myself I think you need to train more than that. The charity got a place deferred for me and I've spent the last year lifting weights, doing back and leg strengthening exercises and running. I am so ready for this. If any of you would like to follow my progress, just log on to virginlondonmarathon2017.co.uk, go to "tracker", put my full name Robert Ramsey and my running number 35597. The run starts at 0500 EST, and it should take me anywhere from 10-11am to finish it. I have 8 hours to finish in order to get the medal that comes with it. WHEN I finish it, it will culminate 3 years of hard work losing weight and getting fit as I approach 60 in September.

Originally posted by bobbyuk View Post
    Hi guys and gals. Tomorrow I will be running in my 2nd straight London Marathon. Last year's ended for me after 15 miles because of back spasms the last 5 miles. Part of the reason for that I believe was my late entry for the charity I ran it for and I only trained for 4 months. If you're not naturally a runner like myself I think you need to train more than that. The charity got a place deferred for me and I've spent the last year lifting weights, doing back and leg strengthening exercises and running. I am so ready for this. If any of you would like to follow my progress, just log on to virginlondonmarathon2017.co.uk, go to "tracker", put my full name Robert Ramsey and my running number 35597. The run starts at 0500 EST, and it should take me anywhere from 10-11am to finish it. I have 8 hours to finish in order to get the medal that comes with it. WHEN I finish it, it will culminate 3 years of hard work losing weight and getting fit as I approach 60 in September.
    Best wishes and GO!
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Nice!

Best to you and Igglephans are cheering you on...

Comment

Have you read "The Dangers of Running" by Kelly Green?
        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Best wishes Bobby

eat a big bag of salt and Vinegar chips before the run...good luck!
          OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
          "BFTR"

Comment

Nice job on 2 terrific milestones! Good luck!
            WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Do work son!
              500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Haha. Good luck Bobby!
                Last edited by McCarthy12; 04-22-2017, 09:23 PM.
                "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Kick ass!

Proud of ya!!!
                  Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                  May 7, 2010

Comment

Finisher! Having trouble wrapping my head around the pacing in Kilometers, but well done Bob!

Comment

Thanks to all of you. I'm sure whomever measured that course needs to be removed!! I was wearing a Garmin watch and the mile markers through the first half of the run were .13 miles longer. Then in the 2nd half, all of a sudden they were .50 out!!! And the kilometre markers were another .50 at least farther and that's where the timing boards were. Athens, it's just minutes per kilometre. The mile + that I ran from 12 miles (20km) to halfway, 13.1 miles was the fastest I've ever run a mile at 7.33 minutes.

Comment

Yeah, I understand the pacing, I just have no history with how fast a pace min/km are or not. As far as the GPS, all races are measured in the shortest distance possible, e.g hugging corner and curbs. Just running with the flow of traffic and not hugging every corner can jack up your mileage by the end of 26. I saw it every time. Anywhere from .2 to .35 miles.

How is your stiff leg limp working out for you today?

Comment

Thanks to all of you. I'm sure whomever measured that course needs to be removed!! I was wearing a Garmin watch and the mile markers through the first half of the run were .13 miles longer. Then in the 2nd half, all of a sudden they were .50 out!!! And the kilometre markers were another .50 at least farther and that's where the timing boards were. Athens, it's just minutes per kilometre. The mile + that I ran from 12 miles (20km) to halfway, 13.1 miles was the fastest I've ever run a mile at 7.33 minutes.

Congratulations. I ran my first ever marathon last year (NYC Marathon). You should be proud of yourself. Tremendous job.

Comment

Bwahahahaha!! Actually I'm having less trouble with my legs than last year and that's down to a longer and more gruelling training program. Thanks Squire and thank all of you for your encouragement and support, whether you followed me or not.

Comment

LONG DISTANCE RUNNERS ARE A BREED OF THEIR OWN. I THINK IT'S AMAZING HOW HUMANS CAN TRAIN THEIR BODIES TO RUN SO ANY MILES. PRETTY AWESOME FEAT.
                              Last edited by DEERSPINE GUY; 04-26-2017, 06:41 PM.
                              "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Working...
                              X