Carnage at ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HEREisAKERS View Post
    I'd argue that LeBron James' THE DECISION set this is motion, as it was one of the first major, MAJOR non-event sports moments of the Twitter, Facebook reporter era that demonstrated how well hype and sensationalism would sell. When every moment is a reportable sports moment, no moment is a reportable sports moment and everything seems behind. People want to see the event and hear it from the players themselves.
    This article by Tom Ley lays it out well.

http://deadspin.com/espns-latest-lay...ime-1794678629

It's more about the changing media landscape and the money that the networks have to spend to air actual sporting events.

The side-show stuff was just done to keep them relevant for the hours they're not showing sports. It's a result more than a cause of what's happened.
    --
    Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
      This article by Tom Ley lays it out well.

http://deadspin.com/espns-latest-lay...ime-1794678629

It's more about the changing media landscape and the money that the networks have to spend to air actual sporting events.

The side-show stuff was just done to keep them relevant for the hours they're not showing sports. It's a result more than a cause of what's happened.
      I agree with his general take. ESPN overpaid for live sports content, and they got caught in a bad spot when people started cord cutting en-mass. MLB-TV and similar services certainly hurt them big time.

Didn't former Eagles reporter Sheil Kapadia move to ESPN? I wonder if he was affected.He probably didn't have a large enough salary to be a major target.

I never have cared for ESPN but a new complete PPV model could suck though. On a game by game basis I could accept it but subscriptions sort of have the same problem ESPN presents.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
        I agree with his general take. ESPN overpaid for live sports content, and they got caught in a bad spot when people started cord cutting en-mass. MLB-TV and similar services certainly hurt them big time.

Didn't former Eagles reporter Sheil Kapadia move to ESPN? I wonder if he was affected.He probably didn't have a large enough salary to be a major target.

I never have cared for ESPN but a new complete PPV model could suck though. On a game by game basis I could accept it but subscriptions sort of have the same problem ESPN presents.
        It seemed like ESPN hired beat reporters for most NFL (and probably other leagues) teams. Obviously I don't know their finances but I doubt that is as expensive, especially if they're teams that generate a lot of pageviews.

In general, media is moving away from the TV. I know cable news and SNL are having a good year due to politics, but if you look at the Trump-free era where Fox dominated, its demographic was skewed much older. As younger generations become the primary consumers I think it's going to get harder and harder for TV to be lucrative.

I haven't really watched ESPN for something other than a live sporting event in over a decade. 30 for 30 is entertaining but they're on Netflix. I don't know if I mind a PPV model IF you can avoid packaging. Depending on the price, I'd be inclined to pay to watch a game or sign up for a team.
        Last edited by TerpEagle; 04-26-2017, 07:56 PM.
        --
        Your Retarded

Comment

Olbermann was funny...until he wasn't.

Comment

Working...
          X