Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also

The Sons of Katie Elder - deserves a better reputation

The Searchers -the closing scene may be the best ever filmed.

The Alamo

Comment

The Sons of Katie Elder does deserve better.

Wayne is good ... and so is Dean Martin playing it straight ... not as good as Rio Bravo (I agree with RSE here), but surprisingly good for someone generally known for goofball parts.

FWIW - I indicated in this thread that my favorite John Wayne performance is in The Searchers ... but I surfed across The Quiet Man the other day ... it's not a Western, but I have to put Sean Thornton right next to Ethan Edwards as co-favorites for John Wayne.
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
        The Sons of Katie Elder does deserve better.

Wayne is good ... and so is Dean Martin playing it straight ... not as good as Rio Bravo (I agree with RSE here), but surprisingly good for someone generally known for goofball parts.

FWIW - I indicated in this thread that my favorite John Wayne performance is in The Searchers ... but I surfed across The Quiet Man the other day ... it's not a Western, but I have to put Sean Thornton right next to Ethan Edwards as co-favorites for John Wayne.
        I had a brain fart and included The Quiet Man in my edited list above. I just conflated favorite John Wayne/John Ford movies with favorite westerns. Funny to see it get a mention here anyway.

Comment

I missed that.
          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
            I missed that.
            I edited it out because it wasn't a western.

Comment

I remember going to see The Outlaw Josey Wales with my high school buddies. Damn, I'm getting old.

Comment

Working...
              X